Removing cement-like substance from a white-cast iron

• Thread starter happycamper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, the conversation discusses a thesis comparing wear rates and patterns in low stress sliding abrasion between field conditions and laboratory-based tests. The field trial uses a quarry 'pugmill' and the wearing parts are the mixing paddles. The question is raised about the best way to remove hardened cement build up on the paddles for accurate weight measurements. Suggestions are made for using an acid bath, specifically a mixture of phosphoric and formic acids, but concerns are raised about its effect on the paddles. Other resources are suggested for further information.
happycamper
Hi all

I have kind of an odd question, it has been quite hard to find an answer for.

I'm doing a thesis comparing wear rates and patterns in low stress sliding abrasion between field conditions and labratory-based tests.

The field trial uses a quarry 'pugmill', which is essentially a giant mixer that combines roadbase and a cement (unsure exactly what type). The wearing parts are the mixing paddles, usually made from white-cast irons - for the thesis I'm testing four different types (OEM, hard-faced etc). For dust suppression, a water mist is used - however this causes a build up of hardened cement in patches on the paddles over time.

I was wondering what would the best way to remove this cement build up on the paddles would be - accurate before and after weights are required for wear-rates. Some of the paddles have smooth surfaces, and the cement can be removed easily enough with a chisel. However some surfaces (such as the tungsten carbide hardfacing) are quite rough and the cement is hard to completely remove.

Paddle materials:
1) 27 Cr White Cast Iron (OEM paddle)
2) CC1500 CrC wear plate overlay - 8mm hardface on 8mm backing plate on 20mm Hardox 400 base
3) 'Duaplate' CrC wear plate overlay - 8mm hardface on 8mm backing plate on 20mm Hardox 400 base
4) Tungsten Carbide Hardfacing - 4-5mm hardface on 32mm Hardox 400 base

I was thinking along the lines of an acid bath of some description, however I'm unsure what acid to use. Any other ideas, or nudges in the right direction would be appreciated as well

Thanks

p.s.

Picture of a pugmill (from google), take note of the mixing paddles.
[PLAIN]http://www.claymineadobe.com/auction/Pug-Mill-Paddles-x-40-ea..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Commercial cement removers use some mixture of phosphoric and formic acids for this purpose.

Would this have a detrimental effect on the iron paddles?

And in addition, what sort of concentrations are the acids in cement removers?

The difficulty with strong acids such as sulphuric or hydrochloric is that they all too readily also attack the metalwork. The acids I mention are more benign, removing only a microscopic surface layer (you have to give something) but for instance phosphoric acid baths are used to passivate and prepare ferrous metal for painting.

You are correct that direct information on this subject is hard to find. It was a long time ago that I was involved with this - I suggest chatting to your local ready-mix concrete plant. In general I remember mechanical removal (hammering) was tried first.

Neville (Properties of Concrete) suggests that "concrete can be attacked below pH of 6.5, severe below 5.5, very severe below 4.5"

He also lists a number of possible acids. As do ACI 515.1R and ACI 201.2R-92

What causes the cement-like substance to form on white-cast iron?

The cement-like substance on white-cast iron is typically formed due to the presence of moisture and oxygen, which can cause a chemical reaction with the iron to form iron oxide, also known as rust.

What are the potential hazards of the cement-like substance on white-cast iron?

The cement-like substance on white-cast iron can weaken the structural integrity of the iron and potentially lead to corrosion. It can also be unsightly and difficult to remove, making it a nuisance for maintenance and upkeep.

How can the cement-like substance be removed from white-cast iron?

There are several methods for removing the cement-like substance from white-cast iron, including mechanical methods such as scraping or sanding, chemical methods using rust removers or acids, and electrolytic methods using a battery or electric current. The most appropriate method will depend on the severity of the substance and the condition of the iron.

Is it possible to prevent the formation of the cement-like substance on white-cast iron?

Yes, it is possible to prevent the formation of the cement-like substance on white-cast iron through proper maintenance and protection. This can include regular cleaning, drying, and applying a protective coating or paint to the iron to prevent moisture and oxygen from coming into contact with the surface.

Can the cement-like substance on white-cast iron be harmful to humans?

The cement-like substance itself is not harmful to humans, but the iron oxide or rust particles can pose a risk if inhaled. It is important to wear protective gear and properly dispose of any debris when removing the substance from white-cast iron.

Back