Renormalisation group in statistical mechanics

In summary, RG is a mathematical technique used in statistical mechanics that relates different systems at different scales. Around the critical point, the systems appear to be selfsimilar. The procedure outlined above only applies around the critical point, as elsewhere the system certainly doesn't look the same on all scales.
tun
I am currently trying to get my head round RG in the context of statistical mechanics and am not succeeding! I would be grateful for any help. I have a specific question, but any clarification of RG in general would be useful. Here is my understanding of the main ideas:

1. Define microscopic system with some Hamiltonian H.
2. Coarse grain this system in some (arbitrary) fashion, which gives rise to a system with a new H in terms of the coarse grained variables.
3. Now we use some input from experiment: near the critical point the system appears to be self similar at all scales, so we impose the requirement that H is of the same form in the new system so that the coarse grained system behaves as it should; the new H has some different set of constants in general given by a transformation.
4. We can then go on to find critical exponents and the critical coupling.

The problem comes when I read or hear statements such as in Leo Kadanoff's book where he says that "each phase of the system can be described by a special set of couplings, K*, which are invariant under the RG transform". The procedure outlined above (if I've got it right!) only applies around the critical point from step 3 onwards, as elsewhere the system certainly doesn't look the same on all scales. Why does the recursion relation we previously obtained have any meaning away from the critical point?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand it something like this:
(i) Start from a microscopic Hamiltonian
(ii) Coarse grain and rescale
(iii) At the critical point, there should be self similarity, ie. there will be a fixed point of step (ii).
(iv) Search for fixed points of step (ii).
(v) If a fixed point of step (ii) is related to critical phenomena, it should have some properties eg. existing only for T=Tc.

atyy said:
I understand it something like this:
(i) Start from a microscopic Hamiltonian
(ii) Coarse grain and rescale
(iii) At the critical point, there should be self similarity, ie. there will be a fixed point of step (ii).
(iv) Search for fixed points of step (ii).
(v) If a fixed point of step (ii) is related to critical phenomena, it should have some properties eg. existing only for T=Tc.

Right, I forgot the rescaling but was nearly there! It seems to me though that having the same Hamiltonian or close enough so that we can find fixed points corresponds to a rather special situation.

I'll take a look at that book though, hopefully that will clear things up.

Thanks for your help!

1. What is the renormalisation group in statistical mechanics?

The renormalisation group is a theoretical framework used in statistical mechanics to understand the behavior of physical systems at different length scales. It involves systematically transforming the equations of a system to reveal its underlying properties and how they change as the scale of observation changes.

2. How does the renormalisation group work?

The renormalisation group works by identifying the relevant degrees of freedom at a particular length scale and integrating out the irrelevant degrees of freedom. This process is repeated at successively larger length scales, resulting in a flow of parameters that describes how the system changes as the length scale changes.

3. What is the significance of the renormalisation group in statistical mechanics?

The renormalisation group is significant because it allows us to understand how the behavior of a physical system changes as we zoom in or out on different length scales. This is important for understanding critical phenomena, phase transitions, and other complex phenomena in condensed matter physics and other fields.

4. What are the applications of the renormalisation group in statistical mechanics?

The renormalisation group has many applications in statistical mechanics, including the study of phase transitions, critical phenomena, and the behavior of systems at different length scales. It is also used in quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and other fields to study the behavior of complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the renormalisation group in statistical mechanics?

Like any theoretical framework, the renormalisation group has its limitations. It is most effective for studying systems near critical points and in the thermodynamic limit, where the number of particles or degrees of freedom is very large. It may not be applicable to systems with long-range interactions or systems that are far from equilibrium.