Renormalizing solutions of the Klein-Gordon equation

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Klein-gordon
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue that the solutions of the Klein-Gordon equation cannot be interpreted as probability densities due to the non-conservation of the norm in time evolution. One proposed solution is to renormalize the solution at each moment, resulting in a new norm-preserving field and a new equation. It is uncertain if this new equation is relativistic and the behavior of this solution has been investigated. This idea is not new and can be interpreted as conditional probability.
nonequilibrium
It is said that the solutions of the Klein-Gordon equation cannot be interpreted as probability densities since the norm isn't conserved in the time evolution.

Now a pretty evident idea seems to be to renormalize the solution at each moment so that it is renormalized (and hence interpretable as a probability density) by definition... More exactly, if [itex]\varphi(\mathbf r,t)[/itex] is a solution of the KG equation, then we can define a new field as [itex]\psi(\mathbf r,t) := \varphi(\mathbf r,t) / ||\varphi(t)||[/itex] where [itex]||\phi(t)|| := \int_{\mathbb R^3} \varphi(\mathbf r',t) \mathrm d \mathbf r'[/itex].

This defines a new norm-preserving field, which of course evolves according to a new equation (not KG). I'm not sure if this new equation is relativistic (i.e. Lorentz-invariant). I would think so, since I would expect the norm to be Lorentz-invariant, but I'm not entirely sure. Has the behaviour of this solution been investigated? Or is there an obvious reason why it is of no interest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I suppose one wouldn't expect the norm to be Lorentz-invariant, so the resulting equation is probably not relativistic.

Mr. vodka, what you propose makes sense but is not new. It even can be viewed as being "covariant", provided that it is interpreted as CONDITIONAL probability. See e.g.
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/1205.1992
Sec. 8.3.1, especially Eqs. (8.39)-(8.40).

1. What is the Klein-Gordon equation?

The Klein-Gordon equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of particles with spin 0. It is a second-order partial differential equation that combines elements of both the Schrödinger equation and the relativistic energy-momentum relation.

2. What does it mean to "renormalize" a solution of the Klein-Gordon equation?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used to remove infinities that arise in quantum field theories. In the context of the Klein-Gordon equation, it involves adjusting the parameters of the equation to ensure that the solutions are physically meaningful and do not lead to infinite values.

3. Why is it important to renormalize solutions of the Klein-Gordon equation?

If the solutions of the Klein-Gordon equation are not renormalized, they can lead to physically nonsensical results such as infinite energy or probabilities greater than 1. Renormalization ensures that the equations accurately describe the behavior of particles and can be used to make meaningful predictions.

4. What are some techniques for renormalizing solutions of the Klein-Gordon equation?

There are several techniques for renormalizing solutions of the Klein-Gordon equation, including perturbation theory, dimensional regularization, and lattice regularization. These techniques involve adjusting the parameters of the equation or introducing a cutoff to remove the infinities.

5. What are some applications of the Klein-Gordon equation in physics?

The Klein-Gordon equation has many applications in physics, including describing the behavior of fundamental particles such as the Higgs boson and mesons. It is also used in quantum field theory to study interactions between particles and in cosmology to model the evolution of the early universe.