Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Replacing lumber with equiv strength steel/aluminum. Sizing?

1. Nov 20, 2015 #1
    Hello, I'm in the design phase of a greenhouse building and am tossing around the idea of not using lumber. I have put up many stick built structures but am afraid the humidity will rapidly decay a conventional pine/fir. And I want to avoid pressure treated if possible

Based on a roofing rafter span table the 8-9' span of the glazed south wall is easily supported by 2x6 lumber on a 24" center. 2x8 would do it with plenty of room to spare, Can anyone point me to a comparable strength steel tube or aluminum tube? Locally I can get 2x2 galvanized steel tube with 1/8" wall thickness and 2x4" aluminum tube with 1/8" wall.

Also as a ridge beam I could easily use doubled up 2x12s. Locally I can get 4"x4" galv sq tube with 1/4" walls. Posts would normally be 6x6s. I would think the 4x4 galv steel should replace that with plenty to spare.

So structural members I want to replace...

Rafters 2x6 - 8' long span
    Posts 6x6 - 8' heigh (3, one per 8' of width)
    Ridge beam 2, 2x12s - 24' wide

As much as I have tried to find any equivalent chart comparing lumber to steel and aluminum tube I have fallen short

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So structures in the US need to be signed off by your local code enforcement folks (city or county). Have you asked them these questions? They are the ones who have to approve it.

4. Nov 21, 2015 #3
    Not all structures do. This type in my area falls under agricultural use and has exemption. I did ask the county and the response was consult an engineer.

I wanted to design something with a decent degree of certainty that it would work before paying an engineers hourly rate to review

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2015
  5. Nov 21, 2015 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

We will give you the same advice. Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook