Where Can I Find a 18 Inch Aluminum or Steel Tube with a 1/4+ Wall Thickness?

• Thread starter skizm240
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the person is looking for a 18-inch aluminum or steel tube with an ID of 8-12 inches and a wall thickness of at least 1/4 inch. They have asked metal shop employees for help but have had no luck due to limited stock and vacation time. Suggestions are made to look for pipe instead and contact a local pipe rep or try an online retailer. Buying from a local shop is recommended to save on shipping and potentially find cheaper scrap pieces.
skizm240
I been looking all over for a aluminum or steel tube that is at least 18 in long

The ID of the tube will be anywhere from 8-12 inch with a 1/4+ wall thickness.

I been looking all over the place and can't seem to find this. I have asked the metal shop guys and they are not sure since they are new to the place. The experience shop guy went on vacation.

Can you please point me in the right direction?

Al

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
18 inches is nothing when it comes to buying tube lengths. Usually we have to buy 20 ft lengths.

With an OD in that range, you will have better luck looking at pipe. For example, an 8" nominal pipe size, schedule 20, results in an OD of 8.625 with a .25" wall. Call a local pipe rep and ask them if they have any spare drops lying around that they would be willing to get rid of. It would stink to have to buy a 20 ft. stick when you need only 18 inches.

Try http://www.mcmaster.com/". Specifically, item #7750K203 is three feet of 8" ID pipe for about $350. I'm sure they can also do custom sizes. But FredGarvin is right, a local place will save you on shipping at least and might be able to sell you scrap for cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Total agreement with Fred on this. Off-cuts from a local shop are probably the best way to get what you want. If the one that you mentioned is the only one available to you, then you might just have to bite the bullet and order out in more quantity than you want.

Related to Where Can I Find a 18 Inch Aluminum or Steel Tube with a 1/4+ Wall Thickness?

1. What is material stock?

Material stock refers to the amount of raw materials, components, or finished goods that a company has on hand at a given time. It includes both the physical inventory and the corresponding financial value of those materials.

2. Why is material stock important?

Material stock is important because it directly impacts a company's production and supply chain. Having too much material stock can tie up capital and storage space, while having too little can result in production delays and lost sales.

3. How is material stock calculated?

Material stock is calculated by subtracting the amount of materials used or sold from the beginning inventory. The beginning inventory is then added to the amount of materials purchased or produced during a specific period of time.

4. What are the different types of material stock?

The different types of material stock include raw materials, work-in-progress inventory, and finished goods inventory. Raw materials refer to the basic components used in production, work-in-progress inventory includes materials that are currently being used in the manufacturing process, and finished goods inventory refers to the completed products ready for sale.

5. How does material stock impact a company's financial statements?

Material stock is reflected on a company's balance sheet as inventory, which is listed as a current asset. It also affects the cost of goods sold on the income statement. If material stock levels are high, it may result in a lower cost of goods sold and higher profits, while low material stock levels may result in a higher cost of goods sold and lower profits.