Aluminum vs Steel: Is Strength Claim True?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smartin1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aluminum Steel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
smartin1
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm a little confused and i would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on how there are some claims of certain manufacturers that the strength or load bearing capacities of aluminum I beams can surpass steel I beams? is that false advertising or can that statement ring true?

Please help.
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Could well be true; it all depends on the alloys and dimensions of the I beam itself.
 
RocketSci5KN said:
Could well be true; it all depends on the alloys and dimensions of the I beam itself.

can you provide any examples to clarify?
 
Example of high strength Al alloys - http://www.vtol.org/f65_bestPapers/structuresAndMaterials.pdf

It depends on the alloy, composition, heat treatment (annealed vs cold worked, stress-relieved), and component geometry.

One can find annealed steels or cold-worked steels, as well as high strength steels.
 
Last edited by a moderator: