Reported someone I suspected of cheating during an exam.

  • Thread starter Thread starter General_Sax
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cheating Exam
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
62 replies · 16K views
General_Sax said:
^

Maybe I don't understand grade curving.

If the course is 'curved', then how could cheating not affect my grade?


Ok you want to be vindicated.
"Well done General Sax, you did the right thing calling attention to a potential infraction to exam rules and regulations, exposing an alleged cheater and thus possibly saving everyone's grades."

There, feel better?

Can we drop the subject now.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pattonias said:
Exactly, if you are cheating your way through your exams you are purposely impairing your ability to make sound decisions when you become an engineer in the real world.

I agree, correct me if I am wrong though, don't you think that with that the chances that someone fresh out of school is going to design a work ready bridge without any review is very realistic? My decision of take a bridge or a long away around depends on it. I would expect a pretty rigorous method to insure safety by real engineers. I doubt a cheater could fool someone unless he was intelligent in the first place. Then again a person that smart wouldn't cheat, they would see that there is no long term solution to it and just go at it the standard way, and actually learn it.

I am swaying towards academic institutions laziness to evolve. I personally never saw cheating as advantageous for that reason, Like Duct taping a leaky facet...You have to fix it eventually. Where is the innovation in school though? People will cheat regardless, it's like drugs. You throw information at someone, and you hope if they can answer a couple of questions with an acceptable level of correctness that they are competent. People want things, they have needs. Some people are willing to take risks.

Why not test people in different ways. They have the resources, they can conduct tests, Isn't this the next step in advancing society? Seems like everyone is more concerned with short term issues, where we go in circles.

I guess that is another subject though.
 
Virtuous said:
I
Why not test people in different ways. They have the resources, they can conduct tests, Isn't this the next step in advancing society? Seems like everyone is more concerned with short term issues, where we go in circles.


What are those different ways?