Repost: Because maybe this is more of a Chem Eng thing

• Thread starter ArcherVillage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, a steam ejector is a device used to expel liquid from a pressurized vessel. It is typically a pipe with a number of openings that allows the steam to escape. The size and shape of the ejector is based on the pressure and temperature of the steam and the desired flow rate of the liquid.
ArcherVillage
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on sources of steam ejector design principles. I've seen one textbook on the topic of steam ejectors that is now out-of-print, and haven't been able to find any suitable online resources (generally, they're very basic and don't quantify much. They're more along the lines of "make sure the ejector isn't choked with steam"). I would like to go from my design parameters, such as desired suction pressure and steam temperature and pressure to determine nozzle diameter, etc.

I realize there are some existing ejector ratios that require only a throat diameter, with all other proportions of the ejector being determined from this value, such as the Langhaar ejector. I suppose I am curious about how to determine a suitable throat diameter in these situations, for instance.

I really wanted to get ahold of a paper by DeFrate and Hoerl ... I can't remember the title ... that seemed to go into greater depth than other papers about theory.

Anyway, if anyone can suggest any leads or give any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently waiting at CheResources to see if an excel workbook on ejector design will be sent to me. If anyone here has it, please let me know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's some papers I came across:
http://www.graham-mfg.com/downloads/23.pdf

http://www.graham-mfg.com/downloads/29.pdf

http://www.graham-mfg.com/downloads/216.pdf

http://www.graham-mfg.com/downloads/218.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know wheter this helps or not, but when I started off as a practising Chenical Engineer I worked in the juice concentration industry and we used steam ejectors a lot. I seem to remember (it was 30 years ago) that a UK manufacturer of ejectors called Hicks and Higgs produced a good manual on how to design steam ejectors (for them to manufacture of course). This contained all the references you needed. I don't know whether H&H still exist and I've lost my manual...

1. What is Chemical Engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that applies principles of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design, develop, and operate processes that transform raw materials into useful products. This can include anything from developing new pharmaceuticals to designing more efficient ways to produce energy.

2. How is Chemical Engineering different from Chemistry?

While both fields involve the study of chemicals, chemical engineering focuses on the practical application of chemical processes, while chemistry is more focused on the fundamental properties and behavior of chemicals. Chemical engineers also require knowledge of other fields such as physics, biology, and economics.

3. What skills are needed to become a successful Chemical Engineer?

To be successful in chemical engineering, one must have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Good communication, teamwork, and time management skills are also important for working in a collaborative and fast-paced environment.

4. What industries do Chemical Engineers work in?

Chemical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, energy, food and beverage, biotechnology, materials and chemicals, and environmental engineering. They may also work in research and development, production, quality control, or process design.

5. What are some current challenges facing Chemical Engineers?

Some current challenges in chemical engineering include finding sustainable and environmentally friendly solutions, optimizing processes for efficiency and cost-effectiveness, and staying up-to-date with advancements in technology. Additionally, there is a growing demand for chemical engineers to work on complex global issues such as climate change and renewable energy sources.