Repost: Because maybe this is more of a Chem Eng thing

  • Thread starter Thread starter ArcherVillage
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
ArcherVillage
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on sources of steam ejector design principles. I've seen one textbook on the topic of steam ejectors that is now out-of-print, and haven't been able to find any suitable online resources (generally, they're very basic and don't quantify much. They're more along the lines of "make sure the ejector isn't choked with steam"). I would like to go from my design parameters, such as desired suction pressure and steam temperature and pressure to determine nozzle diameter, etc.

I realize there are some existing ejector ratios that require only a throat diameter, with all other proportions of the ejector being determined from this value, such as the Langhaar ejector. I suppose I am curious about how to determine a suitable throat diameter in these situations, for instance.

I really wanted to get ahold of a paper by DeFrate and Hoerl ... I can't remember the title ... that seemed to go into greater depth than other papers about theory.

Anyway, if anyone can suggest any leads or give any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently waiting at CheResources to see if an excel workbook on ejector design will be sent to me. If anyone here has it, please let me know.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's some papers I came across:
http://www.graham-mfg.com/downloads/23.pdf

http://www.graham-mfg.com/downloads/29.pdf

http://www.graham-mfg.com/downloads/216.pdf

http://www.graham-mfg.com/downloads/218.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know wheter this helps or not, but when I started off as a practising Chenical Engineer I worked in the juice concentration industry and we used steam ejectors a lot. I seem to remember (it was 30 years ago) that a UK manufacturer of ejectors called Hicks and Higgs produced a good manual on how to design steam ejectors (for them to manufacture of course). This contained all the references you needed. I don't know whether H&H still exist and I've lost my manual...