Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representation of Lorentz algebra

1. Aug 3, 2015 #1

naima

Gold Member

i find here a representation of the Lorentz algebra.
    Starting from the matrix representation (with the ##\lambda## parameter) i see
    how one gets the matrix form of ##iJ_z##
    I am less comfortable with the ## -i y\partial_x + x \partial_y## notation
    Where does it come from? They say that it is a killing vector on ##R^4##
    I suppose that this is basic but as i read it in a physics paper i have not the complete background.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's look at an infinitesimal rotation around the ##z##-axis, by a positive infinitesimal angle ##\alpha##. We can just draw a diagram of the x-y plane and rotate the axes a bit counter clockwise. Then we'll see that
    $$\begin{split}
    & x \rightarrow x' = x + \alpha y, \\
    & y \rightarrow y' = y - \alpha x, \\
    & z \rightarrow z' = z. \end{split}$$
    Now check that
    $$\begin{split}
    & - \alpha ( x \partial_y - y \partial_x) x = \alpha y, \\
    & - \alpha ( x \partial_y - y \partial_x) y = - \alpha x. \end{split}$$
    Therefore
    $$ \delta x^k = i \alpha J_z x^k$$
    if we define
    $$ J_z = i ( x \partial_y - y \partial_x).$$

Further, we can show that ##J_z## is a Killing vector for the Minkowski metric. The Killing condition is
    $$ (J_z)_{\mu ; \nu} + (J_z)_{\nu ; \mu} =0.$$
    Since the Minkowski metric is flat, the covariant derivatives reduce to ordinary derivatives and the Killing condition becomes:
    $$0 = (J_z)_{x ,y} + (J_z)_{y,x} = \partial_y ( -i y) + \partial_x ( i x),$$
    which is obviously satisfied.

One can derive the rest of the generators by examining the other infinitesimal rotations and boosts and then verifying that the Killing equation is satisfied as I did above. Or else one can just compute the rest of the Killing vectors and then see that they have an interpretations as generators.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook