Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representing complex number as a vector.

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    180px-Complex_number_illustration.svg.png

In the above image the default format of a complex number is taken as a vector, since vector addition is only between 2 similar units (example 10 cos 30 cm + 10 sin 30 cm or 5 cms on y axis and 2 cm on the x; which gives a resultant following vector addition), it can be said that that the real and imaginary part (taken as individual axes) are having the same units; what I mean here is that in a complex number, a + bj, a and bj are having the same units; i.e the magnitude is divided into real and imaginay parts and it gives a resultant following vector addition (a + bj).

Infact this is the reason why they get added, cause addition of 2 numbers is only possible if the units are common.

So if you get a complex number in physics, its (a+ib) units; it cant be a [unit 1] + ib [unit 2].

Am I right?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not clear what you are saying. What units are you talking about? There are no "units" such as m, inches, etc. in number systems.

4. Mar 23, 2009 #3
    Yes :rofl:

But, lets take the practical application, I mean :rofl: number systems are used in physics right?...it its given a unit, when a complex number comes in a real life situation, it does have a unit, what I'm asking here is it necessary for both the real and imaginary parts to have the same unit?

If not that image might be wrong in a few place, that's not possible considering the graphical representation of every complex number.

5. Mar 23, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please give an actual situation in which a measured quantity, i.e. a quantity with units, is complex!

6. Mar 23, 2009 #5
    ... Well, yes, if you have (a + bi), then a and bi both have the same units.

But a, b, and i are all dimensionless. Hence, they trivially have the same dimension.

7. Mar 23, 2009 #6
    Yes you are right. Don't forget that the real numbers R is a subset of the complex numbers C. The imaginary unit i is just a number which has a meaning which you know.
    The fact that 'a is a real number' also mean that 'a is a complex number'. Two vectors can be added if they are of the same dimension, since they are from the same vector space. So if you take a real number 'a' which is in it sense a complex, and add it to complex number ib, the result will give a complex number a + ib.

8. Mar 23, 2009 #7
    Thank you people.

Problem solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook