Reps of the SUSY algebra: raising and lowering operators

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
hyperkahler
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm reading Alvarez-Gaume review on Seiberg-Witten theory: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9701069.
Around page 23 you can find the following claim:

"This is a Clifford algebra with 2N generators and has a 2N-dimensional representation. From the point of view of the angular momentum algebra, [itex]a^I[/itex] is a rising operator and [itex](a^I)^\dagger[/itex] is a lowering operator for the helicity of massless states"

The definitions of [itex]a^I[/itex] and [itex](a^I)^\dagger[/itex] are given a few lines above. How to see that the first raise helicity while the second lowers it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's just because of the convention that the spinors with the ##\alpha## index are taken to be of positive helicity, while those with the ##\dot{\alpha}## have negative helicity. You can probably show this explicitly from the relation

$$[M_{\mu\nu},\bar{Q}_{\dot{\alpha}}] = \frac{1}{2} {(\bar{\sigma}_{\mu\nu})_{\dot{\alpha}}}^{\dot{\beta}} \bar{Q}_{\dot{\beta}}.$$

Apply this to ##J_3\propto M_{12}## and follow the minus sign in the definition of ##\bar{\sigma}^\mu=(1,-\sigma^i)##.
 
hyperkahler said:
I'm reading Alvarez-Gaume review on Seiberg-Witten theory: http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9701069.
Around page 23 you can find the following claim:

"This is a Clifford algebra with 2N generators and has a 2N-dimensional representation. From the point of view of the angular momentum algebra, [itex]a^I[/itex] is a rising operator and [itex](a^I)^\dagger[/itex] is a lowering operator for the helicity of massless states"

The definitions of [itex]a^I[/itex] and [itex](a^I)^\dagger[/itex] are given a few lines above. How to see that the first raise helicity while the second lowers it?
Fix: 2N-dimensional