Reputable post-graduate distance-learning universities

• Schools
  • Thread starter momentum_waves
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universities
In summary, the individual would like to do a post-graduate research program in Numerical Physics - with a bias towards the Navier-Stokes equations. They would like to explore the physical nature of almost incompressible fluids with a view to developing a wave hypothesis of the N-S equations. Their preferred bias would be towards gaining a physics understanding - with numerical simulation forming the backbone of the experimental portion. There is no English speaking university that the individual is located in, but they are looking for suggestions on reputable on-line or distance-learning universities.
momentum_waves
I would like to do a post-graduate research program in Numerical Physics - with a bias towards the Navier-Stokes equations.

The preferred bias would be towards understanding & modeling the physical nature of almost incompressible fluids with a view to developing a wave hypothesis of the N-S equations. Although there would be a strong Mathematical component, the bias would be strongly towards gaining a physics understanding - with numerical simulation forming the backbone of the experimental portion.

Would anyone be prepared to steer me towards reputable on-line, or distance-learning university/ies where I could embark on this project? For me, time is not a critical factor & I'm prepared to take as long as it takes to explore the topic. Any country that can accept an English dissertation will be of interest.

Thank you so much.

mw

Physics news on Phys.org
Bumpity, bump.

momentum_waves said:
Would anyone be prepared to steer me towards reputable on-line, or distance-learning university/ies where I could embark on this project? For me, time is not a critical factor & I'm prepared to take as long as it takes to explore the topic. Any country that can accept an English dissertation will be of interest.
There's the Open University in the UK -- they have a research part: http://www.open.ac.uk/research/

Although, I looked at Applied Maths, Engineering and Physics but couldn't see any fluid dynamics research going on. Perhaps there's something in there...

Are you based in a country with no English speaking unis?

e2a: eg. they have http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C02MST322 -- but it's not immediately obvious how their courses fit together...

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get masters degrees in engineering through: http://den.usc.edu

However, this seems to be not what you're looking for, since you seem to want
a) physics, not engineering (though mechanical/aerospace engineering has a lot of fluid dynamics kind of stuff as well)
b) phd, and not master's degree.

I think it will be very hard to find an online phd program, especially in sciences, since research is much more than coursework, but rather research done in close coordination with faculty and other students, as well as others in the academic community.

J77 said:
There's the Open University in the UK -- they have a research part: http://www.open.ac.uk/research/

Although, I looked at Applied Maths, Engineering and Physics but couldn't see any fluid dynamics research going on. Perhaps there's something in there...

Are you based in a country with no English speaking unis?

e2a: eg. they have http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C02MST322 -- but it's not immediately obvious how their courses fit together...

Thanks so much for your reply, J77. I'll follow up on your links & report back.

I'm currently in Thailand & have been on a one-step BSc(Honours)-PhD program (International) consisting of 24 credits of coursework & 48 credits of dissertation. I've completed all the coursework credits & have performed a great deal of fruitful research & endless numerical simulations - resulting in 2 internal papers & 1 international conference paper. It seems, unfortunately, though, that I've bypassed the capability of the local academics (by their own admission) in the field I've been researching. This means that I really do need to look towards a better university.

I was allowed to proceed under my own direction, given I'm a 47-year old returnee, & was working on a Journal paper - but with a recent local change in administration, they've begun reneging on their previous promises. It's time to move on I'm afraid & I'm hoping to recover some of the previous 2.5 years worth of work.

Thanks so much for your very kind contribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbusc said:
you can get masters degrees in engineering through: http://den.usc.edu

However, this seems to be not what you're looking for, since you seem to want
a) physics, not engineering (though mechanical/aerospace engineering has a lot of fluid dynamics kind of stuff as well)
b) phd, and not master's degree.

I think it will be very hard to find an online phd program, especially in sciences, since research is much more than coursework, but rather research done in close coordination with faculty and other students, as well as others in the academic community.

Thanks very much 'jbusc' for your kind contribution. I'll follow up on your link.

I'm actually a BSc Eng(Me) (equivalent to a Physics honours degree) for my sins, but found that the area I've been researching of low speed viscous flow at the onset of instability seems to have moved me more towards the area of Numerical Physics. In general, the engineering & fluids fraternity run into some level of difficulty in this area - especially when waves & periodic solutions are generated.

This was my basic reasoning for mentioning Physics. I'm very open to suggestions & guidance in this matter.

1. What is a reputable post-graduate distance-learning university?

A reputable post-graduate distance-learning university is an institution that offers higher education programs, typically at the master's or doctoral level, through online or distance learning methods. These universities are accredited and recognized by governing bodies in their respective countries, and their degrees hold the same value as traditional on-campus degrees.

2. How do I know if a post-graduate distance-learning university is reputable?

You can determine the reputation of a post-graduate distance-learning university by researching its accreditation status, faculty credentials, student reviews and success rates, and partnerships with other reputable institutions. You can also check rankings and ratings from reliable sources such as U.S. News & World Report, QS World University Rankings, and Times Higher Education.

3. What are the benefits of studying at a post-graduate distance-learning university?

Studying at a post-graduate distance-learning university offers several benefits, including flexibility in scheduling, lower costs compared to traditional on-campus programs, access to a wider range of programs and courses, and the ability to continue working while pursuing a degree. These universities also often have a diverse student body, providing the opportunity for global networking and learning.

4. Are degrees from post-graduate distance-learning universities recognized by employers?

Yes, degrees from reputable post-graduate distance-learning universities are recognized by employers and hold the same value as traditional on-campus degrees. Employers understand that these universities have the same rigorous academic standards and accreditation as on-campus programs and value the skills and knowledge gained through online learning.

5. Can I transfer credits from a post-graduate distance-learning university to another institution?

It depends on the institution's policies and accreditation status. Many post-graduate distance-learning universities have partnerships with other institutions that allow for credit transfers, while others may have stricter policies. It is best to research the transfer policies of the specific university you are interested in before enrolling.