Advice on shopping for Physics Graduate Schools

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of choosing a graduate school for a career in physics. The main question posed is how to choose a school that best fits the individual's research interests and career goals. The suggestions include talking to professors, researching papers and key researchers in the field, and focusing on prestigious universities with active research in the desired area. Personal experiences and advice from others are also shared.
mercenarycor
Hello all!

I'm preparing to transition out of the military, and will have about 4 courses left on my BS when I do. I think it's about time to start looking at grad schools! (YAY!) However, as I look, the possibilities seem almost overwhelming! My question, therefore, is not about how to apply, or how to prepare; those are both well covered in the 'Want to be a Physcist' series. My question is: what criteria do you use to try to fit your choice of graduate schools to yourself?

Let me expound slightly. I know what my interests are, and what areas of research I'd like to work on; but generally it doesn't seem to matter what the program calls itself when you apply to it, the research you will do towards the back half of the program is mostly dependent on what the university has going at the time. Even then, I'm working towards a career, not a part-time job. If I don't get to do research on, say, solid state physics in self-replicating nanotechnology during school, it's not like I'll never get to dabble in it. Does it really matter if the university I'm looking at calls its degree plan "PH.D in Applied Physics" or "in Condensed Matter" or ...? It seems I should focus more on universities that turn out high-functioning and well-educated physicists, so I should base my criteria on retention, graduation, and post-doc. success.

I put it to you, the interweb of professional physicists! If you were back looking at grad. schools again, how would you base your search? What would you use as the beacon to guide your journey?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you should rely on us to help you here. My suggestion is to talk with your profs, tell them where you'd like to go careerwise and see if they have colleagues in other universities that they can tap to answer your questions.

Another approach is to research papers in the field and see where these folks went to school and where they currently teach or work. From there you can get a better idea. You might even be able to contact some of them to get their ideas.

I know, I know this takes time but its what you'll do when you become a PhD research, research, research...

I focused on the researchers. I knew in my sophomore year that I wanted to do work on semiconductors (I was majoring in EE). I would spend weekends at the library, looking up the IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Journal of Applied Physics, Applied Physics Letters, etc. to see who were the key researchers and publishers in the field. After a few months of this, I had a general idea of which professor at which university was doing the most interesting work. All this was in the days before the web. I also wrote to the professors expressing my interest in the subject and focused on those universities in my graduate school application process. Luckily, I was able to get into the University of Illinois which was (and still is) a major player in compound semiconductor device research.

I would wager that these days, the online information can make this kind of research activity much easier.

Likes mercenarycor and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
My suggestion is to talk with your profs, tell them where you'd like to go careerwise and see if they have colleagues in other universities that they can tap to answer your questions.

Thanks Jedishrfu, I'm also going through my advisor, who I honestly think would be great to do my graduate studies with. But 'in abundance of counselors there is victory.'

Scrumhalf said:
I focused on the researchers ... see who were the key researchers and publishers in the field... I also wrote to the professors expressing my interest in the subject and focused on those universities in my graduate school application process.

Thanks Scrumhalf, I appreciate the advice, especially the specific details of how you went about it!

For me it was basically matching my research interests with faculty and overall prestige. I made a list of people I was interested in working with for all the schools I was considering and used it to decide where to apply. I also wrote about the professors on the list in each personal statement.

1. How do I choose the right physics graduate school for me?

When choosing a physics graduate school, it's important to consider factors such as the school's reputation in the field, the research opportunities available, the faculty members and their areas of expertise, the location and cost of living, and the overall fit for your academic and personal goals.

2. What should I look for in a physics graduate program?

When looking for a physics graduate program, consider the curriculum, research opportunities, funding and financial aid options, the faculty and their research interests, the facilities and resources available, and the overall academic and professional support offered by the program.

3. Is it important to attend a highly ranked physics graduate school?

While attending a highly ranked physics graduate school can provide networking and career opportunities, it's ultimately up to personal preference and fit. It's important to prioritize the quality of education and research opportunities, rather than solely focusing on rankings.

4. How can I prepare for the graduate school application process?

To prepare for the graduate school application process, make sure to research and understand the requirements and deadlines for each program, gather strong letters of recommendation, write a compelling personal statement, and prepare for any required standardized tests.

5. Can I switch to a different field of physics in graduate school?

While it may be possible to switch to a different field of physics in graduate school, it's important to consider the program's requirements and whether you have the necessary background and skills. It's also helpful to discuss your interests with faculty members and seek their guidance.