Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Request for Biology/Biochemistry equipment

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1

ENM

Hi, I am a Kenyan scientist/academic and in dire need for equipment that is no longer in use in laboratories in the west. I have without success written to manyinstitutions in the UK requesting to acquire the equipment they no longer use eg old PCR machines, Centrifuges etc, but I have not successfully acquired any equipment because more often than not, the labs that pledge to us, normally forget about us shortly after pledging to us.
    We (myself and others at my university) have bought afew bits and pieces but it is becoming too difficult for afew of us to carry out lab work concurrently. Please advice me on how to go about this. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't know where to begin to get that sort of equipment for you. Those are pretty standard, basic lab equipment that people don't replace until it's no longer functioning. In the US, institutional rules about how used equipment is disbursed (i.e., offered to existing labs at the same institution first) would make it hard to get it shipped elsewhere.

You would probably be better off trying to find a funding source or donations that would allow you to buy a new item shipped directly to you than trying to find a used item in working condition to be donated. Perhaps there is assistance through some of the scientific societies of which you or your colleagues are a member?

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

You may be interested in working with Seeding Labs (http://www.seedinglabs.org/), a US non-profit organization that is trying to support science in the developing world in part by collecting donations of unused lab equipment. I think they are already working to support Kenyatta University in Nairobi, Kenya.

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4

ENM

Thank you so much for this site. I will definitely consult them.

6. Feb 2, 2010 #5

ENM

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook