Required frictional force for a car to keep it from sliding off a curve.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
galuda
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


With what frictional force must the road push on a 1200 kg car if the driver exceeds the speed for which the curve was designed by deltav = 14km/hr?


The Attempt at a Solution


I actually have no clue where to begin with this question. Don't I need the radius to figure this out? On the previous problem i was asked to find the bank angle of a curve given radius and velocity and I used tan-1 [v^2/(gr)]. I don't believe that equation is relavent here though. Any advice as to what equations I should be using?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no radius given?

Is that exactly how the question is written? It seems kinda confusing
 
Yup, that's all it says, other than answer in units of N at the end. Doesn't even say if it's a flat curve or banked.
 
Now the question doesn't say to refer to the previous problem, but if it does it was If r = 51 m and v = 52 km/hr, what is theta? and i found that to be 22.646 degrees. Can we do anything with that information?
 
AHAH! Well I decided to use the degree, radius and velocity from the previous 2 problems, found my force of the original speed that required no friction, added 14km/hr to it and found that force, then subtracted one from the other and that answer was correct. Would have been a whole lot simpler if they had just said "refer to the previous 2 problems to solve this one". Thanks anyways!