1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Required frictional force for a car to keep it from sliding off a curve.

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    With what frictional force must the road push on a 1200 kg car if the driver exceeds the speed for which the curve was designed by deltav = 14km/hr?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I actually have no clue where to begin with this question. Don't I need the radius to figure this out? On the previous problem i was asked to find the bank angle of a curve given radius and velocity and I used tan-1 [v^2/(gr)]. I don't believe that equation is relavent here though. Any advice as to what equations I should be using?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2
    There is no radius given?

Is that exactly how the question is written? It seems kinda confusing

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3
    Yup, that's all it says, other than answer in units of N at the end. Doesn't even say if it's a flat curve or banked.

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4
    Now the question doesn't say to refer to the previous problem, but if it does it was If r = 51 m and v = 52 km/hr, what is theta? and i found that to be 22.646 degrees. Can we do anything with that information?

6. Nov 11, 2007 #5
    AHAH! Well I decided to use the degree, radius and velocity from the previous 2 problems, found my force of the original speed that required no friction, added 14km/hr to it and found that force, then subtracted one from the other and that answer was correct. Would have been a whole lot simpler if they had just said "refer to the previous 2 problems to solve this one". Thanks anyways!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?