Required Level of Physics/Engineering Knowledge?

• Thread starter Delta Force
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary: It is hard to have an energy POLICY if you don't know physics or engineering.In summary, there is no specific requirement for physics and engineering knowledge to join the forum. However, having a degree in a related field such as electrical engineering or a sub-discipline like power systems could be helpful in understanding energy policy. The focus of energy policy is more on economic, environmental, and regulatory factors rather than science and engineering. It is important to back up posts with reliable sources and to have a clear understanding of the scientific method. The statement made by PEOTUS about wind energy and bird deaths highlights the need for a better understanding of science in energy policy.
Delta Force
I'm trained in energy policy, not physics or engineering. How much physics and engineering knowledge do you need to know on this site?

Likes Logical Dog
Physics news on Phys.org
Zero, give or take.

Likes Electron Spin and Nidum
Delta Force said:
I'm trained in energy policy, not physics or engineering. How much physics and engineering knowledge do you need to know on this site?
None, as long as you don't post personal theories. As long as you're asking questions based on actual science, you'll be fine.

Likes Evo
Delta Force said:

Need to know for what goal? There are members on this site with no formal physics training at all, while others have a PhD in it.

As far as I know, you may need a degree in a topic such as electrical engineering. A sub-discipline like power systems might help quite a bit in understanding "energy policy".

Delta Force said:
You need no knowledge to read the posts. But please think twice before you post, how educated are you on what you are posting? What value will your post add to the discussion? Even if you have a question, you should have links to the source of where your question came from. You might want to spend a bit of time reading threads first to see how posting is done. :smile:

Likes phinds
phion said:
As far as I know, you may need a degree in a topic such as electrical engineering. A sub-discipline like power systems might help quite a bit in understanding "energy policy".
Yes, it would very likely be QUITE helpful for his profession, but that wasn't the question. He asked what he needs to know to join the forum and that does not require what you specify.

phinds said:
Yes, it would very likely be QUITE helpful for his profession, but that wasn't the question. He asked what he needs to know to join the forum and that does not require what you specify.

In any meaningful sense, a professional would likely discern the difference quite quickly. I am merely inserting this advice as a student of electrical engineering.

phion said:

Energy policy is actually its own field. It focuses more on the economic, environmental, regulatory, national security, etc. factors of energy than the science and engineering though.

Delta Force said:
Energy policy is actually its own field. It focuses more on the economic, environmental, regulatory, national security, etc. factors of energy than the science and engineering though.
Post if you feel you have a good knowledge of the subject being discussed. Always back up what you post with the sources for that information so that we can all see what you are referencing.

As long as you ask, if you are not sure, or don't push something if it's been pointed out to be wrong, you'll be fine. Don't worry. Don't be afraid to say that you don't know and just want a clarification.

Just stay within the guidelines, they are pretty lax. :smile:

How can you be any kind of commentator on energy without having SOME physics training ? Most of the energy and environment degrees have a solid amount of physics from modules that contain topics like thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, optics mechanics etc

Last edited:
Specific knowledge of a science is not needed. Just a clear understanding of what the scientific method and the difference between peer reviewed and non-peer reviewed sources.

“The wind kills all your birds. All your birds, killed. You know, the environmentalists never talk about that.” - PEOTUS. You don't happen to work for this man do you? He could use some real science in his energy policy.

newjerseyrunner said:
Specific knowledge of a science is not needed. Just a clear understanding of what the scientific method and the difference between peer reviewed and non-peer reviewed sources.

“The wind kills all your birds. All your birds, killed. You know, the environmentalists never talk about that.” - PEOTUS. You don't happen to work for this man do you? He could use some real science in his energy policy.
Bipolar Demon said:
How can you be any kind of commentator on energy without having SOME physics training ? Most of the energy and environment degrees have a solid amount of physics from modules that contain topics like thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, optics mechanics etc

sorry, don't mean to be rude, I know zero physics. :sorry: I think OP knows more physics than he realizes.

1. What level of physics knowledge is required for engineering?

The required level of physics knowledge for engineering varies depending on the specific field of engineering. Generally, a strong foundation in mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics is necessary.

2. What topics in physics are most relevant to engineering?

The most relevant topics in physics for engineering include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics. Other important areas include materials science, quantum mechanics, and relativity.

3. Is a degree in engineering or physics necessary for a career in engineering?

It is not always necessary to have a degree in engineering or physics to have a career in engineering. However, a strong understanding of physics principles is essential for success in the field.

4. Can I learn physics and engineering on my own?

While it is possible to learn some concepts of physics and engineering on your own, it is recommended to have formal education and training in these fields. This will provide a deeper understanding and practical application of the principles.

5. How can I improve my physics and engineering knowledge?

To improve your physics and engineering knowledge, it is important to continue learning and practicing. This can be done through formal education, online courses, reading textbooks and technical papers, and hands-on experience through internships or projects.