Practical knowledges in engineering

In summary, if you have a background in math and science, and are willing to put in the work, you can be a successful engineer.
alex77
1)Are they necessary?
2)Can you live without them and get hired for theoretical knowledges only?For example i had a cousin who graduated something that has to do with mines and he learned a discipline called hidraulics.I have his book.He knew practical knowledges and theoretical and was a subengineer.
3)Can you be a theoretical engineer without practice?
4)I mean will someone hire you if you know ohm's law,kirchoff's law,etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Being able to successfully communicate ideas to others is a practical and sought after skill among employers. So yes.

Theoretical ideas are also in demand if you have the ability to communicate them.

Engineering is essentially applied physics, and engineers typically apply knowledge and skills to practical applications.

Of course, one can apply theory in the development of methods or new systems/applications. Knowing how to apply theory requires some practical knowledge.

alex77 said:
4)I mean will someone hire you if you know ohm's law,kirchoff's law,etc?
Ohm's and Kirchhoff's laws are rather basic. I would expect a high school student to know them.

Theoretical knowledge is great if you can take a problem back to first principles and come up with a practical solution. On the other hand I've known "practical men" who understand solutions because they've seen, or heard of, a similar problem before. The best graduate trainees are the ones who can listen to older more experienced men and learn from their experience, the best old handlers are the ones that can listen to the graduate trainees and appreciate their theoretical knowledge. Hire graduates but put them alongside experience.

In another thread you indicate that you attended a "technical high school" where playing video games was the primary activity, and here you are asking about becoming a "theoretician" but don't have much math or science background. I don't get what you are after. Are you hoping that you can memorize a few formulas and get a good job without ever putting anything into practice (so you have more time to play video games)? The answer is no to both-- you won't be much of an engineer and you are unlikely to be hired anywhere.

Let me break it to you once and for all: succeeding in science and engineering takes hard work, drive, hard work, discipline, hard work, and lots of practice. I hope you decide to go for it.

Likes Mark44
marcusl said:
Let me break it to you once and for all: succeeding in science and engineering takes hard work, drive, hard work, discipline, hard work, and lots of practice. I hope you decide to go for it.

Don't forget even more hard work after practice!

I didn't want to sound discouraging :oldbiggrin:

Likes CalcNerd, 2milehi and JorisL

1. What is practical knowledge in engineering?

Practical knowledge in engineering refers to the application of theoretical concepts and principles to real-world problems and situations. It involves using hands-on skills, experience, and problem-solving abilities to design, build, and maintain various systems and structures.

2. Why is practical knowledge important in engineering?

Practical knowledge is crucial in engineering because it allows engineers to effectively and efficiently solve problems and create innovative solutions. It also helps bridge the gap between theory and practice, ensuring that projects are feasible and successful.

3. How can one gain practical knowledge in engineering?

Practical knowledge in engineering can be gained through various means such as internships, co-ops, apprenticeships, and hands-on projects. It is also important to continuously learn and improve skills through workshops, seminars, and on-the-job training.

4. What are some examples of practical knowledge in engineering?

Examples of practical knowledge in engineering include understanding construction techniques, being familiar with industry standards and regulations, using different tools and software, and being able to troubleshoot and fix technical issues.

5. How does practical knowledge differ from academic knowledge in engineering?

Academic knowledge in engineering focuses on the theoretical concepts and principles, while practical knowledge involves the application of those concepts in real-world situations. Practical knowledge also requires hands-on skills and experience, which may not be emphasized as much in academic coursework.