1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Required velocity for a stable orbit?

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    Say we have two objects. One is at the origin with mass = 1kg, the other is X meters away with mass 0.1kg

Is there a way to calculate the velocity required to form a stable orbit, depending on the distance of the smaller object?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2
    Are you trying to calculate the orbital velocity, mr. qwesda?

4. Jan 15, 2007 #3
    ^hey complex. i didn't know there was the term 'orbital velocity'

googling this term should give me everything i need, thanks

5. Jan 16, 2007 #4
    Hey guys ;) Depends on the size of the objects. If the objects are both points, then any sideways velocity will be enough for them never to collide because the conservation of angular momentum prevents it.

The bigger the objects, the more tangential velocity they need, because they can't have their centres get closer than the sum of their radii, that would be a collision.

6. Jan 16, 2007 #5

J77

Is this not the case of equating circular motion forces with gravitational attraction forces...

7. Jan 16, 2007 #6
    someone on another forum (BL) gave me this handy equation:

crit_velocity = sqrt( 2*G*m1 / dist )

where m1 is the mass of hte heavier object. note, this only works if hte mass of the lighter object is much much lighter than the heavier object

if the velocity of the lighter object is less than the critical velocity, then it will form an orbit. if it's greater than the crit_vel, then it will fly off forever

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  8. Jan 16, 2007 #7
    dont know why this was moved here, it wasnt hw, i'm not even in physics

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?