Closest stable orbit of a body around earth

In summary, the problem involves calculating the closest stable orbit of the moon using the sandbox video game Universe Sandbox, taking into account the masses of the moon and Earth, and the gravitational constant. The attempt at a solution involves finding the velocity and acceleration of the moon, and there is a question about whether this is the best approach. The poster also clarifies that this is not a real-world problem, but rather a project for a math class.
AndrewC

Homework Statement

This is a problem I picked for my calculus one class that I would like to solve, then model the solution using the sandbox video game universe sandbox. I would like to calculate the closest stable orbit of the moon, if possible allowing for some eccentricity in the orbit making it an ellipse. If this is the wrong forum to post this in I apologize.
mass of moon = 7.348x10^22kg
Mass of Earth = 5.97x0^24kg
Gravitational constant = 6.674x10^-11m^3kg^-1s^-2
Gravitational parameter of moon = G(m1+m2) = u = 4.03x10^14[/B]

Homework Equations

V=sqrt(u ((2/r)-(1/a)))
r = current distance from parent body
a = semi major axis of orbiting body
u = Gravitational parameter = GM if orbiting body's mass is small compared to parent body.
u = G (m1+m2) if orbiting body's mass is comparable to parent body.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure calculating velocitiy of tge moon or acceleration due to gravity is the best way to find the closest stable orbit? Looking for any input.[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By stable orbit, it this considering low Earth orbits are affected by the outer fringes of the atmosphere, so they are slowed down and the orbit is not "stable"?

Sorry I needed to update all of the info. I'm specifically thinking of the moon. So this is not a very real world problem. It's so e thing I picked for fun for a math project.

1. What is the closest stable orbit of a body around Earth?

The closest stable orbit of a body around Earth is called the low Earth orbit (LEO). This orbit is approximately 160-2000 kilometers above the Earth's surface and is commonly used for satellite and space station missions.

2. How is the closest stable orbit of a body around Earth determined?

The closest stable orbit is determined by a combination of the body's velocity and the Earth's gravitational pull. Objects in orbit must have a high enough velocity to counteract the Earth's pull, creating a balance that allows them to maintain a stable orbit.

3. What factors can affect the stability of a body's orbit around Earth?

There are several factors that can affect the stability of a body's orbit around Earth, including atmospheric drag, solar radiation pressure, and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies. These factors can cause small changes in the orbit and may require adjustments to maintain stability.

4. How long can a body remain in the closest stable orbit around Earth?

The length of time a body can remain in the closest stable orbit around Earth depends on its altitude and the factors affecting its orbit. For a satellite in LEO, the average lifespan is around 5-15 years before it falls back to Earth due to atmospheric drag.

5. What are the advantages of having a body in the closest stable orbit around Earth?

Having a body in the closest stable orbit around Earth allows for various applications such as communication, navigation, and Earth observation. It also allows for easier access to space for missions and experiments. Additionally, the low altitude of LEO makes it easier and more cost-effective to launch and maintain satellites and space stations.