1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Requirements for engineering for college (ib student)

1. Dec 17, 2009 #1
    I was just wondering since I have the time,
    what are the subject entry requirements for:
    1) Aeronautical & Astronautical
    2) Environmental

Currently I am starting my final year of high school, I take Physics, Math and Economics at higher level.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2009 #2
    Are you talking about SAT Subject Tests or just classes taken in high school? Either way, it depends on the university and program. As a rule of thumb, more selective schools would probably like to see at least a year of calculus, physics, and chemistry, but this is just a rule of thumb.

I would check the website of whichever colleges you apply to. I go to Lehigh University and there are no specific requirements.

4. Dec 17, 2009 #3
    The typical requirements are to be ready for calculus, physics, and chem at a college level.

Meaning in high school you should at least take Pre-calculus and one year of physics and chemistry, but more is always better.

Also you should take classes the develop your language skills such as English classes which will also be useful as an engineer.

5. Dec 18, 2009 #4
    Crap, I don't take Chemistry at all. I used to to prepare for the O level exams but I've completely dropped it once I started IB. So it doesn't seem possible to do either of the courses at undergraduate?

6. Dec 18, 2009 #5
    Huh? Every college I've ever heard of offers chemistry, and if your grades are good a lot of 'em won't really mind that you haven't taken chem. My school definitely won't care, and it offers environmental engineering.

what courses are you talking about?

Just figure out where you're applying, go to their undergrad webpage, and find the list of requirements for applying to the program you want. It varies widely from school to school. I took about 6 SAT subject tests in high school 'cause every school wanted something different. Oh, and did miserably on the chem one and that didn't really hurt me anywhere.

7. Dec 18, 2009 #6
    I you can technically get by without taking chemistry in high school but you should be prepared to do a lot of work since college intro chemistry is expecting you all ready have some prior knowledge

8. Dec 18, 2009 #7
    I'm guessing that you guys are not familiar with the International Baccalaureate program?
    In this program, I'm takin 6 subjects, 3 higher level and 3 standard level subjects.
    Most schools anywhere around the world only look at the 3 higher level subjects you take.
    Unfortunately, I don't take Chemistry as a subject, however I've taken it before IB.
    My school definitely offers Chemistry but I don't take it. I've always thought that Math and Physics were enough to do engineering courses.
    If Aeronautical and Astronautical engineering doesn't require me to take Chemistry, I would gladly take up the course at undergraduate level.

9. Dec 19, 2009 #8
    I am familiar with the IB program.

You can think of standard-level classes as really good college track preparation, and higher-level classes as a mix or pre-college/college class equivalent.

Talking to a friend who teaches IB math he says that one of the problems, at least with math, is that it is too spread out for any given college class. Compared to AP calculus you learn more information in HL math, but not in as much depth as what is covered in AP calculus and it's not really enough to pass out of say a calculus class.

You don't need an IB diploma to get into a university, and you don't need any rigid preparation for the classes typical college Freshman take. Typically one year of chemistry/bio/physics in high school (not necessarily IB level).

It's just recommended that you should have certain knowledge to be on track with everyone else.

10. Dec 19, 2009 #9
    Sorry for the mixup Feldoh, I was referring to story645 about the unfamiliarity with IB.
    Thanks for the help guys, I have taken Chemistry before so I shouldn't have that much to worry about.
    I have 2 years of experience in Biology and Chemistry so yeah.
    I guess all I really have to do now is IB then.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook