Rescaling Variables HW: Get \frac{\partial \hat{f}(z,x)}{\partial z}

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Variables
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Nusc
Messages
752
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Suppose I have the following expression:
[tex](v \frac {\partial}{\partial r} ) f(r,v)[/tex]

I want to obtain:

[tex]\frac {\partial \hat{f}(z,x)}{\partial z}[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]x \rightarrow v/v0[/tex]
[tex]z \rightarrow (r-r0)/H[/tex]
[tex]H \rightarrow \frac{k_{b} T} {m g }[/tex]
[tex]\hat{f}(z,x) = x^2 f(r,v)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
[tex]x v0 \frac {\partial}{\partial (zH+r0)} \frac{1}{x^2} \hat{f}(z,x)[/tex]

is this possible?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
Where does the x2 come from?Assuming H and r0 are constant, you can simplify the derivative.
It was just a given a change of variable. I am trying to verify it.
[tex]f(r,v) = f( zH+r0, xv0)[/tex]

Can you show me explicitly?
 
What do you mean?

I am trying to show

[tex](v \frac {\partial}{\partial r} ) f(r,v) \rightarrow<br /> <br /> \frac {\partial \hat{f}(z,x)}{\partial z}[/tex]
 
There is an x2 in your equations. Why? What did you calculate that let this factor appear in the equation?

Edit: This one: ##\hat{f}(z,x) = x^2 f(r,v)##