How to show that this expression with tensors reduces to zero?

In summary, the problem reduces to proving that the following expression reduces to zero:$$\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial x'^a}{\partial x^e}\frac{\partial x'^d}{\partial x^h}g^{eh}g_{hg}\left(\frac{\partial^2 x^h}{\partial x'^c\,\partial x'^d}\frac{\partial x^g}{\partial x'^b}-\frac{\partial x^h}{\partial x'^b}\frac{\partial^2 x^g}{\partial x'^c\,\partial x'^d} \right )$$However, I couldn't
phyTens
Homework Statement
Following a book "Introducing Einstein's Relativity" by Ray d'Inverno, I came across this problem (6.16):
Show directly that $$\Gamma^a_{bc}=\frac{1}{2}g^{ad}(\partial_b g_{dc}+\partial_c g_{db}-\partial_d g_{bc})$$ transforms like a connection.
Relevant Equations
The definition of ##\Gamma^a_{bc}## given above, and the usual rules for transforming tensors, i. e. $$g'^{ab}=\frac{\partial x'^a}{\partial x^c}\frac{\partial x'^b}{\partial x^d}g^{cd}$$

A useful result is also
$$\partial'_b g'_{dc}=\frac{\partial x^e}{\partial x'^b} \frac{\partial x^f}{\partial x'^c} \frac{\partial x^g}{\partial x'^d}\partial_e g_{gf}+\frac{\partial x^e}{\partial x'^b}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^e}\left (\frac{\partial x^g}{\partial x'^d}\frac{\partial x^f}{\partial x'^c}\right ) g_{gf}$$
I simply just wrote down the definition of ##\Gamma'^a_{bc}##, and inserted the transformations of ##g'^{ad}##, ##g'_{dc,b}##, and the like terms. After some rearranging and cancelling out,

$$\Gamma'^a_{bc}=\frac{\partial x'^a}{\partial x^e}\frac{\partial x^f}{\partial x'^b}\frac{\partial x^g}{\partial x'^c}\Gamma^e_{fg}+\frac{\partial x'^a}{\partial x^e}\frac{\partial^2 x^e}{\partial x'^b\,\partial x'^c}+\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial x'^a}{\partial x^e}\frac{\partial x'^d}{\partial x^h}g^{eh}g_{hg}\left(\frac{\partial^2 x^h}{\partial x'^c\,\partial x'^d}\frac{\partial x^g}{\partial x'^b}-\frac{\partial x^h}{\partial x'^b}\frac{\partial^2 x^g}{\partial x'^c\,\partial x'^d} \right )$$

The first two terms correspond to the usual transformation law for connections, hence the third term should vanish. If my calculations until this point are correct, the original problem reduces to proving that the following expression reduces to zero:
$$\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial x'^a}{\partial x^e}\frac{\partial x'^d}{\partial x^h}g^{eh}g_{hg}\left(\frac{\partial^2 x^h}{\partial x'^c\,\partial x'^d}\frac{\partial x^g}{\partial x'^b}-\frac{\partial x^h}{\partial x'^b}\frac{\partial^2 x^g}{\partial x'^c\,\partial x'^d} \right )$$

However, I couldn't show this, despite making lots of attempts. One of more promising attempts is swapping the dummy indices ##g## and ##h## in the second term, and arriving at
$$\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial x'^a}{\partial x^e}\frac{\partial x^g}{\partial x'^b}\frac{\partial^2 x^h}{\partial x'^c\, \partial x'^d}\left( \frac{\partial x'^d}{\partial x^h}g^{eh}-\frac{\partial x'^d}{\partial x^g}g^{eg}\right )$$
which would have to be proved to be equal to zero.

Unfortunately, I only know the basics of tensors, and don't know how such equation could be proved. As such, I am kindly asking you to post some insight on how such a problem could be tackled. Of course, I have almost certainly already made some errors, and I would be happy if you'd pointed that out as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that the metric is symmetric.

Likes topsquark
I used this fact to derive the last expression in the post, but I haven't been able to go much further. Could you be more specific of where to apply this fact?

In the last expression, note that ##g## and ##h## are dummy indices, so the two terms in the parentheses are equal.

Your last bit of work wasn't necessary though. In the earlier line, you had this factor
$$\left(\frac{\partial x^g}{\partial x'^b}\frac{\partial^2 x^h}{\partial x'^c\,\partial x'^d}-\frac{\partial x^h}{\partial x'^b}\frac{\partial^2 x^g}{\partial x'^c\,\partial x'^d} \right ),$$ which I rearranged slightly to make its antisymmetry with respect to the indices ##g## and ##h## obvious. Since your multiplying it by ##g_{hg}##, which is symmetric, the product will vanish.

Likes topsquark
vela said:
Since your multiplying it by ghg, which is symmetric, the product will vanish.
Oh, thank you!

vela said:
In the last expression, note that g and h are dummy indices, so the two terms in the parentheses are equal.
I really wanted to use this fact, but I was worried because ##g## and ##h## also show up in the factor before the difference as well. Is this not a problem when cancelling out the terms in the difference?

Likes topsquark and phyTens

1. How do I show that an expression with tensors reduces to zero?

To show that an expression with tensors reduces to zero, you can use the properties of tensors such as linearity, symmetry, and contraction. You can also use the Einstein summation convention and manipulate the indices to simplify the expression. Another approach is to use tensor identities and transformations to simplify the expression.

2. Can I use computer software to show that an expression with tensors reduces to zero?

Yes, there are various software programs such as Mathematica, MATLAB, and Python that have built-in functions for manipulating tensors and simplifying expressions. These programs can also perform calculations with tensors using the Einstein summation convention, making it easier to show that an expression reduces to zero.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to show that an expression with tensors reduces to zero?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to use the Einstein summation convention, not considering the properties of tensors, and not simplifying the expression enough. It is also important to keep track of indices and ensure they are properly contracted. Additionally, be careful when using tensor identities and transformations, as they may not be applicable in all cases.

4. Can I use mathematical proofs to show that an expression with tensors reduces to zero?

Yes, mathematical proofs can be used to show that an expression with tensors reduces to zero. This approach involves using mathematical properties and manipulations to simplify the expression and eventually prove that it equals zero. However, this method may be more time-consuming and complex compared to using tensor properties and software programs.

5. Are there any real-world applications for showing that an expression with tensors reduces to zero?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for understanding and showing that an expression with tensors reduces to zero. For example, in physics, tensors are used to describe physical quantities such as velocity, force, and stress. By showing that certain expressions with tensors reduce to zero, we can prove the validity of physical laws and equations. Tensors are also used in engineering, computer graphics, and machine learning, making it important to understand how to manipulate and simplify expressions involving tensors.