Research interest, career plan, academic goal for REU

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
phanhuy93
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

I'm a Mathematics and Physics major, currently in my junior year. Being an international student, it is extremely hard for me to find summer REU, so I could only find around 9 places. Even so, they only say that they MIGHT accommodate around 1-2 internationals. As such, I want to make my application as strong as possible, since this is going to be my last chance to have research opportunity outside.

Now, I'm quite stuck on writing an essay(500 words) on my research interest, career plan, academic goals, and how I think the program will help me further my interest/plan. So, my question is how to effectively write this essay? What should I include and what not? What is the template? How specific should I be?

My interest is quantum mechanics, particle physics and theoretical research. However, I'm flexible to all kind of research.

If possible, could you share your experience on applying to summer REU as well.

Thank you very much
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty difficult to get a theory project for an REU unless you already have a experience or are very advanced in your coursework. I was able to get a project in condensed matter theory I think because I had a lot of experience from my home institution and I had taken graduate quantum and math methods.