1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research of next generation battery need which enginnering course?

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    I really want to do research in battery after I finish my undergraduate engineering course. which engineering course should I choose so that I am well prepared to do research in battery? (mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering) Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey kohalex9 and welcome to the forums.

I would hazard a guess that you will not learn enough for this kind of thing in one standard engineering undergraduate curriculum because this problem would not only consist of electrical/electronic engineering, but also of things involving material science as well as some pure physics and chemistry.

It might help if you find businesses working in this area as well as any graduate programs that specialize in this kind of thing because again you are not likely to be doing this straight after a normal undergraduate program path due to the scope involved which is going to be largely multi-disciplinary.

4. May 17, 2012 #3
    Thank you. I just wonder out of these 3 engineering course (mechanical eng, electrical eng, chemical eng), which one would prepare me THE MOST to do research in battery? or if I take 2 engineering course together like mechanical+chemical, does this option will be better?

5. May 17, 2012 #4
    Definitely chemical engineering, if you must do one of those engineering. Chemistry, physics, and material science are actually the most relevant in research, then mechanical eng. (especially thermodynamics) or electrical eng. would be ok ancillary disciplines that will have more relevance in manufacturing processes and end use applications. But remember, this is purely my semi-educated guess and personal opinion.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  6. May 17, 2012 #5
    Law and business. The biggest hurdles for next generation batteries is not the technical aspect of it, far from it. The biggest hurdle is getting funding for the researchers. The research itself is trivial compared to getting the funding =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook