Research paper reading suggestions

In summary: , its not so much that im not interested in them, but moreso in the process of arriving at that point
  • #1
Hey guys, I am currently in 11th grade.
I am just used to solving Olympiad problems and proving some random theorems. I think i should start studying some reasearch papers for ny own benefit..any suggestions for where to start with?
Suggest from intro to intermediate level...will be fine! Thankyou!Also i believe I can work on some intro level research projects...if anyy pls!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Research papers are usually at the front of research activities, which is far away from any introducing character. Quite the contrary of what you are asking for: you need to read a lot of introductory textbooks in order to understand research papers.

My suggestion is to read some historical papers instead, e.g. Noether, Einstein, Planck.
 
  • Like
Likes Physicistpropeller
  • #3
American Journal Of Physics...
 
  • #4
fresh_42 said:
Research papers are usually at the front of research activities, which is far away from any introducing character. Quite the contrary of what you are asking for: you need to read a lot of introductory textbooks in order to understand research papers.

My suggestion is to read some historical papers instead, e.g. Noether, Einstein, Planck.
yea! I was thinking to start with principia as a starting thesis... which historical papers u suggest by the way and thanks
 
  • #5
The Principia is a bit mighty, and possibly too old-fashioned. I think Einstein is doable.
 
  • Like
Likes Physicistpropeller
  • #6
fine gotcha... thankyou

fresh_42 said:
The Principia is a bit mighty, and possibly too old-fashioned. I think Einstein is doable.
 
  • #7
The Principia is impenetrable. Especially in the original Latin.

I'm not a big fan of original papers for this purpse. They are intended for experts to explain theories in an early stage of development to other experts. Not to teach theories that have been around for a while to non-experts.
 
  • Like
Likes Physicistpropeller
  • #8
Vanadium 50 said:
The Principia is impenetrable. Especially in the original Latin.

I'm not a big fan of original papers for this purpse. They are intended for experts to explain theories in an early stage of development to other experts. Not to teach theories that have been around for a while to non-experts.
i got you...the thing is i was just intending to know how they reached to this that conclusion... how they verified this And all through papers/thesis so yeah
 
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some tips for finding research papers to read?

There are several ways to find research papers to read. You can start by searching through academic databases such as Google Scholar or JSTOR. You can also look for papers on specific topics by using keywords or browsing through relevant journals. Additionally, you can ask your colleagues or mentors for recommendations.

2. How do I know if a research paper is reliable?

To determine the reliability of a research paper, you should look at the author's credentials, the publication source, and the methodology used. Check if the author has relevant expertise and if the paper has been published in a reputable journal. You should also evaluate the research methods and data analysis to ensure they are sound and unbiased.

3. How can I efficiently read a research paper?

To read a research paper efficiently, start by skimming through the abstract, introduction, and conclusion to get an overview of the study. Then, read the headings and subheadings to identify the main points. Next, read the results and discussion sections in detail, and take notes as you go. Finally, read the references to find related studies that you can explore further.

4. How do I take notes while reading a research paper?

Taking notes while reading a research paper can help you understand and remember the key points. You can use a note-taking method such as summarizing each paragraph in your own words, highlighting important information, or creating an outline of the paper. Make sure to also note down any questions or ideas that come to mind while reading.

5. Can I cite a research paper without reading it?

No, it is not recommended to cite a research paper without reading it. Citing a paper means you are using its information or ideas to support your own work, so it is important to fully understand the paper's content and context. If you are short on time, you can read the abstract and conclusion to get a general idea, but it is best to read the entire paper before citing it.

Suggested for: Research paper reading suggestions

Back
Top