Light Reading Suggestions (Non-textbooks)

In summary, Black Hole Wars by Leonard Susskind was a good book that contained a mixture of history, anecdote, and information about black holes. Zero by Charles Seife is good too, and discusses the history and implications for mathematics of the concept of zero. I also recommend Prime Obsession and The Drunkard's Walk.
tolove
As the topic says!

Anyone read a good books lately that were related to physics/mathematics? I'm thinking history books, or things of that sort.

I've recently finished reading "Black Hole Wars," by Leonard Susskind. I liked it quite a lot. It was a very nice mixture of history, anecdote, and information.

edit: Ah, sorry, I meant to post this in General Physics subsection.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The book "Zero" by Charles Seife is good in my opinion. Tells about the history and implications for mathematics of the concept of zero.

I'm currently reading "The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World," by Sean Carroll. I just started it a couple days ago...it's quite good so far.

As far as math based books, I really enjoyed both "The Golden Ratio" and "Is God a Mathematician?" by Mario Livio. Both great books with a lot of insight into mathematical principles, and how math is reflected in, and representative of the world around us.

Can't ever discount "A Mathematician's Apology" by G.H. Hardy, very good read. I also liked 'The Strangest Man'
- A biography of Paul Dirac.

tolove said:
Anyone read a good books lately that were related to physics/mathematics? I'm thinking history books, or things of that sort.

I've recently finished reading "Black Hole Wars," by Leonard Susskind. I liked it quite a lot. It was a very nice mixture of history, anecdote, and information.

Yes, "Black Hole Wars," by Susskind was good.

It inspired me to calculate the displacement of an object as a function of time that one, I'll call him "Bob," would measure if Bob was right up next to the event horizon of a large [supermassive, for example] black hole (imagine Bob was suspended from above by a long cable), and and Bob dropped an object (call it "Alice"), allowing the object (Alice) to free-fall into the black hole.

The displacement of the object I came up with is:

[tex] x' = d \left[ 1 - \mathrm{sech} \left( \frac{c}{d} \tau \right) \right] [/tex]
where
[itex] x' [/itex]: displacement of object [Alice] away from stationary observer [Bob] as measured by the observer [Bob].
[itex] c [/itex]: speed of light.
[itex] d [/itex]: distance of stationary observer [Bob] to the event horizon. (Not the distance to the center of black hole! it is assumed that [itex] d \ll r [/itex]).
[itex] \tau [/itex]: time, as measured by the stationary observer [Bob].
[itex] \mathrm{sech}() [/itex]: hyperbolic secant function.

According to the equation, the object [Alice] will approach the event horizon, but never actually cross it (as measured from the observer's [Bob's] frame of reference).

And note that the stationary observer feels an acceleration (from the cable suspending him) of [itex] g = c^2/d [/itex]. With that, it can be shown through series expansion that the displacement reduces to [itex] x' = \frac{1}{2}g \tau^2 [/itex] for small [itex] \tau [/itex], agreeing with Newtonian mechanics (at small times, before things get relativistic)!

(This also ignores the mass of Alice and any spacetime curvature caused by Alice's mass; it is assumes Alice has negligible mass. Also, quantum effects are ignored.)

------------

Anyway, back to the topic. I recommend

"Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics," by John Derbyshire.

and

"The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives," by Leonard Mlodinow.

Last edited:
The Road to Reality by Penrose. It's a history of mathematics from the Egyptians and Pythagoreans to the modern era. He muses on the nature of the phenomena he explores on occasion which sounds right up your alley.

Related to Light Reading Suggestions (Non-textbooks)

1. What are some good non-textbook sources for learning about light?

Some great non-textbook sources for learning about light include popular science magazines such as National Geographic, Scientific American, and Discover. Online resources like Khan Academy and Crash Course also have informative videos on light.

2. Are there any books specifically about the history of light and its discovery?

Yes, there are several books that cover the history of light and its discovery. Some recommended titles include "The Light Fantastic: A Modern Introduction to Classical and Quantum Optics" by Ian Kenyon and "Light: A Radiant History from Creation to the Quantum Age" by Bruce Watson.

3. Can you recommend any light-related books for beginners?

For beginners, "The Physics of Light: The Nature of Light and its Role in Our Lives" by Jeff Hecht and "Light: The Visible Spectrum and Beyond" by Kimberly Arcand and Megan Watzke are both excellent choices. They provide a basic understanding of light without overwhelming technical jargon.

4. Are there any books that explore the practical applications of light in everyday life?

Yes, there are many books that delve into the practical applications of light. Some examples include "Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting" by Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, and Paul Fuqua, and "The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet" by Matthieu Ricard and Trinh Xuan Thuan.

5. Are there any light-related books that are suitable for children?

There are plenty of children's books that cover the topic of light in a fun and engaging way. Some suggestions include "Light: Shadows, Mirrors, and Rainbows" by Natalie Rosinsky, "What is Light?" by Markette Sheppard, and "Wonders of Light" by Natalie M. Rosinsky.