Research positions outside home university

In summary, as a freshman physics major interested in particle physics, the individual is facing limited research opportunities at their small university. They are considering approaching other universities for research positions, but are hesitant due to the preference for hiring students from their own institution. It is suggested that having external funding may increase their chances. Additionally, it is advised to keep an open mind and explore available research opportunities, even if they may not be a perfect match.
Alyssa P
I'm a freshman physics major at a small research university in Philadelphia. The majority of the university is geared toward the health sciences, so we have very limited opportunities for research in physics. I'm just starting to develop my interests in specific fields in physics, and I'd ideally like to study particle physics (I'd also like to try my hand at both experimental and theoretical research). None of the professors in my department are doing research that I find particularly interesting. I'm in the process of applying for several summer REUs, most in particle physics, but since I'm a freshman with no formal university research experience, I doubt I'll get a position. I am going to meet with the chair of my department to discuss his research in chaos theory, but if I do not like working in his lab or if I do not get the position or any REUs, should I seek research opportunities at other, nearby, larger universities? I was told to do this by a graduate student I met at a conference earlier in the year, but I fear they do not have enough space in their labs to accommodate their own students, let alone a student from another university. Has anyone had a similar experience? I've known I've wanted to do undergraduate research for a very long time and I'd really like to start as soon as possible. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's fine to approach other universities for research positions if you're not getting what you want where you are. You're right that in most cases professors will favour students from their own institutions before hiring anyone from outside. What can be a big help is if you're coming with some kind of external funding. If you approach a professor with an eye to submitting a proposal to some external body that will fund all or part of your position you're likely to have a lot more interest.

The other thing worth mentioning is that for your first summer, you might not want to get too picky about the nature of your research. Sure, it would be nice to find something that's a perfect match for what you like, but as a freshman, you probably don't have too much of an idea of what's really out there yet. So it can help to keep an open mind and explore the opportunities that are available to you. You can then refine as you go.

Likes Student100
Thanks for the advice!

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a research position outside of my home university?

Research positions outside of your home university offer a variety of benefits, such as exposure to new research topics, collaboration with different researchers and institutions, and gaining valuable international experience. These opportunities can also enhance your resume and lead to new career opportunities.

2. How can I find research positions outside of my home university?

There are various ways to find research positions outside of your home university, such as networking with professors and researchers, attending conferences and workshops, and searching online job databases. You can also reach out directly to institutions or organizations that align with your research interests.

3. What qualifications do I need to apply for a research position outside of my home university?

The qualifications for research positions outside of your home university may vary depending on the institution and specific research project. Generally, you will need a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and a well-written research proposal. Fluency in the language of the host country and any necessary visas or permits may also be required.

4. Can I still receive funding for a research position outside of my home university?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities available for research positions outside of your home university. These may include scholarships, grants, or funding from the institution or organization hosting the research project. It is important to thoroughly research and apply for these opportunities in advance.

5. How can I make the most of my research position outside of my home university?

To make the most of your research position outside of your home university, it is important to be proactive and take advantage of all opportunities. This may include attending conferences, networking with other researchers, and immersing yourself in the culture and research community of the host country. It is also important to maintain clear communication with your home university and collaborate with your colleagues to ensure a successful research experience.