Resetting CMOS password on Dell

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmos
In summary, the conversation discusses how to clear a BIOS password on a Dell desktop computer that was given to the speaker by a friend. The speaker mentions trying to enter setup and using jumpers on the motherboard or removing the battery to reset the password. They also mention a website with instructions on how to reset the BIOS password.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
My friend was just given a computer from someone at work who got an upgrade. It has a BIOS password that no one knows.

I start up the computer, press F2 and it starts into setup. But then says Type password and press Ctrl-Enter to disable security or press Enter to keep security.

How can I clear the password?

It's a Dell desktop http://www.mohacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/refurbdell.jpg" running XP. I can't tell you anything more about it since I can't get in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
You may have jumpers on the motherboard which allow you to reset everythingbut if not try removing the battery on the motherboard .

Leave it out overnight , 24 hrs if possible BUT make sure you make note of all your cmos settings first.

Last edited:
Try This

http://www.tech-faq.com/dell-bios-password.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I will.

1. How do I reset the CMOS password on my Dell computer?

To reset the CMOS password on a Dell computer, you will need to access the motherboard of your computer. This typically involves opening the computer case and locating the CMOS battery. Once you have found the battery, remove it and leave it out for a few minutes before replacing it. This should reset the CMOS password and allow you to access your computer.

2. What do I do if removing the CMOS battery does not reset the password?

If removing the CMOS battery does not reset the password, you can try using a backdoor password. Dell computers often have a backdoor password that can be used to access the computer if the CMOS password is forgotten. You can search for the specific backdoor password for your Dell model online or contact Dell support for assistance.

3. Can I reset the CMOS password without opening my computer?

No, in order to reset the CMOS password on a Dell computer, you will need to physically access the motherboard and remove the CMOS battery. There is no way to reset the CMOS password without opening the computer case.

4. Will resetting the CMOS password erase my data?

No, resetting the CMOS password will not erase any data on your computer. It only resets the BIOS settings, including the password, back to their default state. Your data will remain intact.

5. Is it possible to bypass the CMOS password on a Dell computer?

It is not recommended to bypass the CMOS password on a Dell computer. Bypassing the password can potentially damage your computer and may void your warranty. It is best to follow the proper steps to reset the password or contact Dell support for assistance.