Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to reset admin password of my Acer computer?

1. May 16, 2016 #1
    My GF forgot the password of her old acer laptop, which she didn't use much. Now she asked to me to help her recover the password. I only know reinstall the os but this will erase the data on the computer. What is the method i can use to reset the password without losing any data?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2016 #2
    What OS is it? If it's windows 7 you can follow the instructions here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Reset-Built-in-Administrator-Password-If-Fo/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. May 17, 2016 #3
    It's Windows 8. I will check it to see if this works. thank u very much

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. May 17, 2016 #4
  6. May 18, 2016 #5
    Password to what? an email account? a social-website account? your windows password? there could be billions of possibilities. be descriptive of what the password is for.
    maybe this article is helpful:
    http://www.iseepassword.com/forgot-my-acer-laptop-password.html

7. May 18, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The thread title is "how to reset admin password of my acer computer?" so I assume that's the password he's asking about.

8. May 18, 2016 #7
    Who even contemplates reinstalling the OS for a forgotten password to a social media account?

9. May 18, 2016 #8

1oldman2

Gold Member

Once upon a time simply removing the internal memory battery for 10-15 minutes would clear it, If the computer isn't very new that may be worth a try. (note: this applies to HP laptops, not sure with Acer).

10. May 18, 2016 #9
    Thanks to all, the password was reset with the help of above suggestions.

11. May 18, 2016 #10
    This doesn't work in my case. I tried it early.

12. May 18, 2016 #11

1oldman2

Gold Member

At least the story had a happy ending. :smile:

13. May 18, 2016 #12
    Password stories rarely do lol

14. Jun 3, 2016 #13
    That will only work with a bios password, never a Windows password. Bios data is stored in volatile memory, Windows (and other passwords) are stored on a hard drive, so a battery pull will never work for that.

15. Jul 4, 2016 #14
    1. After wrong password prompt displays, click OK;
    2. Insert the password reset disk into PC driver, click Reset password and the Password Reset Wizard will comes up, then click "Next";
    3. Choose the targeted password reset disc from drop down box, and then click "Next";

16. Jul 5, 2016 #15
    There are software tools that can help you reset the encrypted passwords of windows accounts. (->google)
    My old windows 7 had an Administrator account by default that was not passwordized, I used it when I suddenly forgot what my current account's password was after I hit my head against the stairs inadvertently.

17. Aug 14, 2017 #16
    Forgot Windows password ? as long as you know a Microsoft account and Email ID , they are can be used to reset logon password for you , even if they are free ,but not everyone can do it ,

18. Aug 15, 2017 #17
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted