How to reset admin password of my Acer computer?

In summary, resetting the admin password of an Acer computer can be done by accessing the BIOS settings, selecting the "Security" tab, and then choosing the option to reset the password. It is important to have a backup of important files and documents before performing this action, as it will erase all data on the computer. If the BIOS settings are password protected, the user will need to contact Acer customer support for further assistance.
abwagen
My GF forgot the password of her old acer laptop, which she didn't use much. Now she asked to me to help her recover the password. I only know reinstall the os but this will erase the data on the computer. What is the method i can use to reset the password without losing any data?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What OS is it? If it's windows 7 you can follow the instructions here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Reset-Built-in-Administrator-Password-If-Fo/

Last edited by a moderator:
Mastermind01 said:
What OS is it? If it's windows 7 you can follow the instructions here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Reset-Built-in-Administrator-Password-If-Fo/

It's Windows 8. I will check it to see if this works. thank u very much

Last edited by a moderator:
abwagen said:
My GF forgot the password of her old acer laptop, which she didn't use much. Now she asked to me to help her recover the password. I only know reinstall the os but this will erase the data on the computer. What is the method i can use to reset the password without losing any data?

Password to what? an email account? a social-website account? your windows password? there could be billions of possibilities. be descriptive of what the password is for.
maybe this article is helpful:
http://www.iseepassword.com/forgot-my-acer-laptop-password.html

Franklin11 said:
Password to what?
The thread title is "how to reset admin password of my acer computer?" so I assume that's the password he's asking about.

Franklin11 said:
Password to what? an email account? a social-website account? your windows password? there could be billions of possibilities. be descriptive of what the password is for.
http://www.iseepassword.com/forgot-my-acer-laptop-password.html
Who even contemplates reinstalling the OS for a forgotten password to a social media account?

Likes Mastermind01
Once upon a time simply removing the internal memory battery for 10-15 minutes would clear it, If the computer isn't very new that may be worth a try. (note: this applies to HP laptops, not sure with Acer).

Thanks to all, the password was reset with the help of above suggestions.

Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
Once upon a time simply removing the internal memory battery for 10-15 minutes would clear it, If the computer isn't very new that may be worth a try. (note: this applies to HP laptops, not sure with Acer).

This doesn't work in my case. I tried it early.

abwagen said:
This doesn't work in my case. I tried it early.
At least the story had a happy ending. :smile:

1oldman2 said:
At least the story had a happy ending. :smile:
Password stories rarely do lol

Likes 1oldman2
1oldman2 said:
That will only work with a bios password, never a Windows password. Bios data is stored in volatile memory, Windows (and other passwords) are stored on a hard drive, so a battery pull will never work for that.

Likes 1oldman2
  1. After wrong password prompt displays, click OK;
  2. Insert the password reset disk into PC driver, click Reset password and the Password Reset Wizard will comes up, then click "Next";
  3. Choose the targeted password reset disc from drop down box, and then click "Next";

There are software tools that can help you reset the encrypted passwords of windows accounts. (->google)
My old windows 7 had an Administrator account by default that was not passwordized, I used it when I suddenly forgot what my current account's password was after I hit my head against the stairs inadvertently.

Franklin11 said:
Forgot Windows password ? as long as you know a Microsoft account and Email ID , they are can be used to reset logon password for you , even if they are free ,but not everyone can do it ,

Jamsserg said:
Forgot Windows password ? as long as you know a Microsoft account and Email ID , they are can be used to reset logon password for you , even if they are free ,but not everyone can do it ,https://www.recoverywindowspassword.com/break-windows-login-password.html
If you without Microsoft account , you can user another account (Local account) to do ,

Solution 1
Forgot Windows 10/8.1/8 password on Acer laptop, such as Acer Aspire? I will probably recommend you 3rd-party software to reset Acer laptop windows 10/8.1/8 password. Because it works well and quickly when you don’t have password reset disk, available administrator or other sign-in options.

And the Windows password reset program, Windows Password Genius Advanced is my favorite. The major steps are software download and installation, burn software into bootable USB drive or CD/DVD-ROM, boot locked Acer laptop from burning device and reset/remove Windows 8/8.1/10 password.
Solution 2
For Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10, there is a built-in administrator for users to login computer. But it is not enabled by default. So when forgot Acer laptop Windows XP password, we can bypass forgotten Acer laptop Windows XP password with enabled built-in administrator.

Step 1: Press F8 when powering on Acer laptop.

Step 2: At Advanced Boot Options window, choose Safe Mode and press Enter.

Step 3: Choose and click the Administrator account at the Windows logon screen.

Please note that if you’ve ever set this administrator password, you need input the password set before. If not, you should keep the "Password" blank.

Step 4: Click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts, select the account needed to reset password and input new password.

I'm late.I am reinstalling the system instead of resetting the password ,it took me a long time and energy, especially since I don't know much about computers

Some programs will tell you how to do it with free tools. you can try it first, and if it's not working, try other tools

Free ? i don't think they are effective , they are some third-party tools

1. How can I reset the admin password of my Acer computer if I have forgotten it?

There are a few ways to reset the admin password on an Acer computer. One method is to use a password reset disk, which can be created in advance or purchased. Another option is to use a command prompt and reset the password through the Windows Recovery Environment. If neither of these options is available, you can also try using a third-party password reset tool.

2. Can I reset the admin password without losing any data on my Acer computer?

Yes, it is possible to reset the admin password without losing any data on your Acer computer. However, this will depend on the method you use to reset the password. Using a password reset disk or a third-party tool should not affect your data, but resetting through the Windows Recovery Environment may result in some data loss.

3. I don't have a password reset disk, what should I do?

If you don't have a password reset disk, you can still reset the admin password on your Acer computer. There are various third-party tools available that can help you reset the password. You can also try using the command prompt in the Windows Recovery Environment.

4. Can I reset the admin password if I am not the owner of the computer?

No, you cannot reset the admin password if you are not the owner of the computer. Only the owner or someone with administrative privileges can reset the admin password. If you are unable to reset the password, you may need to contact the owner or a professional technician for assistance.

5. Will resetting the admin password erase all the data on my Acer computer?

No, resetting the admin password will not erase all the data on your Acer computer. However, it is always recommended to back up your important files before attempting to reset the password, as there is a small chance of data loss depending on the method used to reset the password.