1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance in a Wire (coursework Evaluation)

1. Oct 24, 2006 #1
    To get the full marks for my gcse coursework "how does length affect the resistance in a wire?" I need to provide an alternative experiment that I could perform if I were to redo the investigation. I have already calculated resistance in circuit using ohm's law and predicted results using the R=ρL/A. Does anyone have any suggestion to what I could do? I haven't had any luck researching this, although my teacher hinted that I could do something with variable resistor to control the resistance but I have no idea how. Please remember this must relate to the length not wire temperature or cross-sectional area.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you ever used one of those big slide wire rheostats as a variable resistor?

Knowing how it works might give you some ideas. You might also want to find out about the Wheatstone bridge if you have not already encountered it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?