Resistances in Series or Parallel

In summary, by connecting two resistors in series and then parallel to one resistor, it is possible to obtain a resistance of 66.7 Ohms using three identical resistors of 100 Ohms. This is the only solution that yields the desired resistance, as all three resistors in parallel would result in a resistance of 33 Ohms.
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

You are given three identical resistors, each of 100 Ohms. Show how by using them singly or in series, parallel or series-parallel combinations you can obtain a resistance of 66.7.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I could think of arranging the resistors in order to obtain a resistance of 66.7 Ohms was if 2 resistors connected in series were parallel to 1 resistor. Is this even possible? Or is there another solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not? It is correct.

Well what does it work out to?

The equivalent is a 200 || 100, so that looks like it's right. All 3 || would yield 33 ohms, so ... must only be the one solution.

Of course it's possible (and correct, as noted). See the attached image.

Attachments

• resistor.jpg
    resistor.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 351
Well it was the only solution I could think of but I wasn't sure if I could parallel them that way. If I can then I think it's safe to assume it's correct.

What is the difference between resistances in series and parallel?

In a series circuit, resistances are connected one after the other, creating a single path for current to flow. In a parallel circuit, resistances are connected side by side, creating multiple paths for current to flow.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. This can be calculated using the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. This means that the reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances. The total resistance can then be found by taking the reciprocal of the resulting value.

Which type of circuit is better for reducing overall resistance?

A parallel circuit is better for reducing overall resistance because it provides multiple paths for current to flow, resulting in a lower total resistance compared to a series circuit with the same individual resistances.

How does the addition of resistances in series or parallel affect the current and voltage in a circuit?

In a series circuit, the current stays the same throughout, but the voltage is divided among the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the voltage stays the same, but the current is divided among the individual resistances. This is known as Kirchhoff's laws of current and voltage.