Resistive force question using T (tension)

In summary, a horse is pulling a canal boat using a rope at 12° to the direction of motion of the boat with a tension of 1150 N. The resistive force opposing the boat's forward motion is calculated using the equation T = T cos θ and is equal to 1125 N. However, when using a scientific calculator, it is important to input the correct values and use the correct units (degrees or radians) to get an accurate result.
Siliconwombat

Homework Statement

A horse is pulling a canal boat using a rope at 12° to the direction of motion of the boat.
The tension in the rope is 1150 N.
(a) The canal boat is moving at a steady speed. Calculate the resistive force opposing
the boat’s forward motion.

Homework Equations

Answer sheet gives equation as:
T = T cos θ

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution is given as:

= 1150 N x cos 12°
= 1125 N
Therefore resistive forces = 1125 N

However I've tried two different scientific calculators. The windows version comes out at 13800 and googles version comes out at 970.43

Am I using these tools incorrectly or are they flawed with calculations of this type?

Many thanks, its driving me crazy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Siliconwombat

Your 970 answer : you've put in 12 rad instead of 12°
Your 13800 answer : you've put in 12 instead of cos(12°) !

All it takes is a bit more care :-)

Well i feel a little stupid on the first one!
However on the second which was using the windows calculator I can't see any way of identifying the 12 as degrees? any hints?

Think I'll have to buy a proper calculator again!

You'll have to bear with me I'm coming back to physics after a long break to try and improve myself!

Thanks for your help :)

On my version of the Windows calculator, you can switch between "Standard" and "Scientific".
For the latter, there are radio buttons to choose from Degrees and Radians.

Actually scratch that, it seems to dislike my use of cos fullstop. Think Ill stick to google fr now ;)

Yeah I'm set on scientific and degrees but no matter which way I input the equation it only gives me 1150x12. It seems to ignore cos completely.

nvm its the opposite way round so input as 12 cos *1150.

Thanks for your help and please disregard my stupidity :)

1. What is resistive force?

Resistive force, also known as friction, is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It can be caused by contact between two surfaces or by the movement of air or liquid.

2. How is resistive force related to tension?

Resistive force and tension are related because tension is the force exerted on an object by a string, rope, or cable. This tension is often responsible for overcoming or counteracting the resistive force of friction.

3. How does the amount of tension affect resistive force?

The amount of tension in a system can directly affect the amount of resistive force experienced by an object. Greater tension can help to overcome or reduce the resistive force, allowing for smoother and faster motion.

4. How does temperature affect resistive force?

Temperature can affect resistive force in various ways. For example, as the temperature increases, the resistive force of air or liquid can decrease due to the molecules moving faster and creating less resistance. However, in certain materials, such as rubber, an increase in temperature can cause an increase in resistive force.

5. How can we reduce resistive force?

There are several ways to reduce resistive force, depending on the situation. For example, using lubricants can help to reduce friction between two surfaces. In some cases, reducing the surface area of contact between two objects can also minimize resistive force. Additionally, minimizing the weight or mass of the object can help to reduce the resistive force experienced during motion.