How can I calculate the tension force?

In summary, the author attempted to solve a problem involving a beam by using the standard procedure of solving for forces and accelerations. However, they ran into a problem where they ended up with the same value. They asked for help and were told to solve for forces and accelerations about an axis. They were also told that if the problem statement leaves out critical information, it's the author's choice to specify their assumptions.
elleo
Homework Statement
Find the tension force that the rope is doing to the bridge (see attached image)
Relevant Equations
T=mg
I don´t know if others apply
act1_bb5.png

This is my attemp of solution:

Since the formula to calculate the tension is T=mg
I first calcualted the weight of the bridge with the ecuation
W= mg m=W/g
m= 18,000 N / 9.81 m/s
m= 1834 kg

So T=(1834)(9.81)= 17,991 N

But this seems no logical to me because the Tension force is a bit less than the weight force of the bridge, I think it should de more

Physics news on Phys.org
elleo said:
the formula to calculate the tension is T=mg
That would only be for the simple case of a mass hanging statically and vertically, with no other support for the mass.
The diagram is unclear without more explanation. Is it a uniform load of 3kN/m (in which case, the arrows are showing torque about the joint)?

There is a standard procedure for solving just about any 2D mechanics problem:
- pick a rigid component;
- consider the sum of forces and resulting acceleration (ΣF=ma) in each of two directions, usually at right angles;
- pick an axis and consider the sum of torques and resulting acceleration (Στ=Iα) about the axis.
Since this is a statics question, a=α=0.

Yes, it’s a uniform 3 KN/m
And the diagram doesn’t give the angle between the bridge and the wall, so I don’t know if it’s possible to calculate the resulting force

Pretty sure you should assume that the angle between the bridge and wall is 90°. If in doubt, specify your assumption in your submitted answer. If the problem statement leaves out critical information, it's your choice to specify your assumptions. Markers can't (well, shouldn't) penalize for missing information.

elleo said:
Yes, it’s a uniform 3 KN/m
Please submit the entire actual problem statement. Arrows in that form generally means a linearly increasing load, not a uniform load unless what is shown is the resulting torque at each point (which would be incompatible with the 3 kN/m quoted at the end).

elleo said:
m= 18,000 N / 9.81 m/s
m= 1834 kg

So T=(1834)(9.81)= 17,991

Don't you see that you've just gone in a circle? You took 18 000 N, divided it by ##g##, and then multiplied the result by ##g##. Apart from the round-off error, you end up with exactly what you started with, 18 000 N.

Can you draw a free-body diagram of the beam and then use the 1st and 2nd conditions for equilibrium to set up your equations? Hint, ##T=mg## will not be one of those equations. And your intuition that ##T## should be greater than the magnitude of the weight force is correct. Note that the magnitude of the weight force is ##mg##.

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or any similar object when it is pulled taut by forces acting from opposite ends. It is also known as the pulling force.

2. How can I calculate the tension force using the Newton's Second Law?

The Newton's Second Law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. Therefore, to calculate the tension force, you can use the formula F = ma, where F is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

3. Is tension force always equal to the weight of an object?

No, tension force and weight are two different forces. While weight is the force exerted by gravity on an object, tension force is the force transmitted through a string or cable when it is pulled taut from both ends.

4. How can I calculate the tension force in a system with multiple strings?

To calculate the tension force in a system with multiple strings, you can use the principles of vector addition. The tension force in each string can be represented as a vector, and by adding all the vectors, you can determine the net tension force in the system.

5. Does the angle of the string affect the tension force?

Yes, the angle of the string does affect the tension force. The tension force will be greater when the string is pulled at a smaller angle compared to when it is pulled at a larger angle. This is because a smaller angle results in a greater component of force in the direction of the pull, while a larger angle results in a smaller component of force.