1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistivity of a stretched wire VS unstretched state

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    1. A wire of a 6.0[tex]\Omega[/tex] resistance is stretched to three times its original length. Assume the diameter and resistivity have stayed the same, what is its new resistance?

2. R=[tex]\stackrel{\rho L}{A}[/tex]

3. Since the only thing that's changed in the equation is L, having tripled, I was obviously thinking the resistance would now be 18[tex]\Omega[/tex], but the books answer is 54[tex]\Omega[/tex]. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi SpecialMen, welcome to PF. When metals are plastically deformed, it's usually assumed that the volume remains constant, not the cross-sectional area. Know what I mean?

4. Mar 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks, I appreciate the welcoming!
    And yes, I know exactly what you mean. This is what I told myself when I first read the question, thinking it was strange to neglect the change in diameter of the cable...I reread the question a couple times, and then realized that what the book really said was we were assuming the same resistivity and density, not diameter as I had originally read. Brain freeze, I've been doing these problems for the past 6 hours, literally! Still, thanks for yor input! Would have gotten me out of my hole had I not reread the question!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook