Finding New Resistance of a Length of Wire

In summary: So the new resistance, R', can be calculated using the equation R' = (l/l')*R, where l is the original length of the wire and l' is the new length after stretching. In summary, the new resistance of the wire is proportional to the ratio of the original length to the new length, while taking into account the change in cross sectional area.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A length of wire, length l, is clamped at its midpoint. It is then stretched on the right side, with the left side unchanged, to a length of l (the right side has a length l). The original Resistance of the wire was R, what is the new resistance of the wire?

Homework Equations

R is proportional to length

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the fact that R is proportional to length (it wants R' in terms of R, so I am ignoring resistivity and such), I conclude that R' = 1.5*R, which is wrong. I got 1.5 by saying the left side is length l/2 and the rightside is length l so l+l/2 = 1.5l. So R'=1.5*R

Physics news on Phys.org
B3NR4Y said:

Homework Statement

A length of wire, length l, is clamped at its midpoint. It is then stretched on the right side, with the left side unchanged, to a length of l (the right side has a length l). The original Resistance of the wire was R, what is the new resistance of the wire?

Homework Equations

R is proportional to length

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the fact that R is proportional to length (it wants R' in terms of R, so I am ignoring resistivity and such), I conclude that R' = 1.5*R, which is wrong. I got 1.5 by saying the left side is length l/2 and the rightside is length l so l+l/2 = 1.5l. So R'=1.5*R

The resistance of the wire is proportional to length if the wire has the same diameter along it's length. When you stretch the wire the stretched part will get thinner. You need to take that into account.

How would I do that? Should I set up a ratio of diameter to length that should remain constant?

Yes. Not a simple ratio like d/l or so. Think of what does remain constant.

Ah, is it cross sectional area that changes? So a ratio of length to cross sectional area, since resistivity remains constant?

Yep

1. What is the purpose of finding the resistance of a length of wire?

The purpose of finding the resistance of a length of wire is to measure the opposition to current flow within that wire. Resistance is an important factor in determining the efficiency and safety of electrical circuits.

2. What factors affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, and the material it is made of. Longer wires and wires with smaller cross-sectional areas have higher resistance, while wires made of materials with lower resistivity have lower resistance.

3. How do you calculate the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire can be calculated using Ohm's law: R = V/I, where R is resistance in ohms, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the equation R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

4. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is the ohm (Ω). It is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm, who first defined the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in 1827.

5. How does temperature affect the resistance of a wire?

Temperature can affect the resistance of a wire in two ways. First, as the temperature of a wire increases, its resistance also increases due to the increased vibration of the wire's atoms, which hinders the flow of electrons. Second, different materials have different temperature coefficients of resistance, meaning that their resistance changes at different rates as the temperature changes.