Resistors in parallel and series

In summary: In your diagram, look at the rectangle that contains the two resistors. Label the corners a, b, c, d, starting with the upper left and going clockwise. Would you not agree that a,b, and c are essentially the same point? And thus between that point and point d, the two resistors are in parallel.In summary, the ohmmeter will read the same for both circuits.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

If an ohmmeter is connected between points and in each of the circuits shown in the figure . For the circuit a) what will it read? For the circuit b) what will it read?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/b299a065-5dff-4564-82e0-d1db1c9c2c88.jpeg

Homework Equations

Series and Parallel rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help just in part b. Now, when we combine the 30 and 45 resistors, the solution manual combines them in parallel and the equivillant is drawn on the bottom line. My question is WHERE DID THE WIRE IN THE MIDDLE GO? Did it miraculously dissapear?... I need tips in knowing how to determine parallel in series.. ? Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
What middle wire? Unless the wires (and the connections) are labeled, we'll have a difficult time discussing them.

In any case, if you can pick two points and redraw the wires such that the 30 and 45 resistors are in parallel between them (and you can), then you are justified in replacing them with the equivalent.

Doc Al said:
What middle wire? Unless the wires (and the connections) are labeled, we'll have a difficult time discussing them.

In any case, if you can pick two points and redraw the wires such that the 30 and 45 resistors are in parallel between them (and you can), then you are justified in replacing them with the equivalent.

I mean here the wire at which the 30 ohm resistor is placed. When drawn equivilantly with the 45 ohm resistor, they put them on the very bottom line and take off the wire which the 30 ohm resistor was originally placed at!

ehabmozart said:
I mean here the wire at which the 30 ohm resistor is placed. When drawn equivilantly with the 45 ohm resistor, they put them on the very bottom line and take off the wire which the 30 ohm resistor was originally placed at!
Still not clear where the problem is.

In your diagram, look at the rectangle that contains the two resistors. Label the corners a, b, c, d, starting with the upper left and going clockwise. Would you not agree that a,b, and c are essentially the same point? And thus between that point and point d, the two resistors are in parallel.

I would like to clarify that resistors in parallel and series refer to the arrangement of resistors in an electrical circuit. In series, the resistors are connected end-to-end, while in parallel, they are connected side by side. The rules for calculating the equivalent resistance in series and parallel are based on Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws.

In the given circuits, the ohmmeter is connected between points A and B. In circuit a), the resistors are connected in series, so the ohmmeter will read the sum of the resistances (10Ω + 20Ω = 30Ω). In circuit b), the resistors are connected in parallel, so the equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2. Therefore, the ohmmeter will read a value less than 30Ω, as the resistors are effectively working together to reduce the overall resistance.

As for the question about the wire in the middle, it does not disappear. In circuit b), the resistors are connected in parallel, which means they have a common connection point at the bottom. The wire in the middle is simply a representation of this common connection point. You can think of it as a "junction" where the current splits into two paths and then comes back together at the other end.

To determine whether resistors are connected in series or parallel, you can follow these steps:
1. Trace the path of the current from one end of the circuit to the other.
2. If the current passes through each resistor one after the other, they are connected in series.
3. If the current splits into multiple paths and then comes back together, the resistors are connected in parallel.

I hope this helps in understanding resistors in parallel and series.

What is the difference between resistors in parallel and series?

The main difference between resistors in parallel and series is the way they are connected. In series, the resistors are connected one after the other in a single loop, while in parallel, the resistors are connected side by side with each other.

How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in series?

To calculate the total resistance of resistors in series, you simply add up the individual resistances. So, if you have three resistors with values of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 60 ohms (10 + 20 + 30).

How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in parallel?

Calculating the total resistance of resistors in parallel is a bit more complicated. You first need to calculate the reciprocal of each resistor's value (1/R). Then, add up all the reciprocals and take the reciprocal of that sum. So, if you have three resistors with values of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 4.29 ohms (1/(1/10 + 1/20 + 1/30)).

Why would I use resistors in parallel or series instead of just one resistor?

Using resistors in parallel or series allows for more flexibility in circuit design. By adjusting the values of the individual resistors, you can achieve a specific total resistance that may not be possible with just one resistor. Also, using multiple resistors can help distribute the load and prevent overheating of a single resistor.

Can I mix different types of resistors in parallel or series?

Yes, you can mix different types of resistors in parallel or series. However, it is important to note that each type of resistor has its own characteristics and limitations, so it is important to understand how they will interact with each other in a circuit. It is always best to consult a circuit diagram or seek advice from an experienced engineer when mixing different types of resistors.