Resistors in Series with a lightbulb

In summary, the problem asks for the actual power of a lightbulb marked "75W at 120V" when plugged into a 120V outlet through a long extension cord with two conductors each having a resistance of 0.800Ω. Using the equations P = V^2/R and V = IR, the total resistance of the circuit is calculated to be 193.6Ω. However, this is the total resistance of the circuit, not just the lightbulb itself. To find the actual power of the lightbulb, the voltage drop across the lightbulb must be taken into account using voltage divider theory. This results in a slightly smaller power of 73.8W, as given in the
sakebu

Homework Statement

A lightbulb marked "75W at 120V" is at one end of a long extension cord in which each of the two conductors has a resistance of 0.800Ω. The other end of the extension cord is plugged into a 120V outlet. Find the actual power of the bulb.

Homework Equations

P = V^2/ R
V = IR
P = I^2R

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer according to the book is 73.8W

I found the Resistance of the bulb to be 192Ω
by doing R = V^2/P R = 120^2/75 = 192Ω
Then I added on the TWO extra resistors .8 x 2 = 1.6Ω
The total resistance therefore becomes 193.6Ω
I used that along with the 120V to find the P.
120^2/193.6 = 74.4W ..

What am I doing wrong please?

Physics news on Phys.org
sakebu said:

Homework Statement

A lightbulb marked "75W at 120V" is at one end of a long extension cord in which each of the two conductors has a resistance of 0.800Ω. The other end of the extension cord is plugged into a 120V outlet. Find the actual power of the bulb.

Homework Equations

P = V^2/ R
V = IR
P = I^2R

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer according to the book is 73.8W

I found the Resistance of the bulb to be 192Ω
by doing R = V^2/P R = 120^2/75 = 192Ω
Then I added on the TWO extra resistors .8 x 2 = 1.6Ω
The total resistance therefore becomes 193.6Ω
I used that along with the 120V to find the P.
120^2/193.6 = 74.4W ..

What am I doing wrong please?
The power you calculated is the total power dissipated by the two wires and the bulb. The question asks for the power dissipated by the bulb alone. Do you know where to go from here?

I don't really understand the difference..

sakebu said:

Just stick to the theory. P = IV where I is the current through the component and V is the voltage across it. What is the current through the light source? What is the voltage across it? It is never a good idea to memorize the set of power equations. They all come from P = IV, and you can always arrive to them yourself using a bit of thought and algebra. If you rely on these equations without understanding the theory well enough, you can (as you have done) mistakenly apply one of the equations improperly.

It's like how when I took physics AP, my teacher never even taught that silly kinematics equation v^2 = v_0^2 +2a(x-x_0). That too is derived from the other, more basic equations, a(t), v(t), and x(t).

Last edited:
sakebu said:

That formula you quote P = V2/R - like Ohms law for that matter, have the symbol V in it.

That V stands for the Voltage Drop across the component you are dealing with.

Your circuit has 3 resistors in Series.

0.8, 192 and 0.8

The wire going TO the lamp, the lamp itself and the wire coming FROM the lamp.

The Voltage Drop across that group is 120V, but not all of it drops over the 192Ω lamp; it will be just a little bit less [use voltage divider theory] which will give you that slightly smaller Power.

1. What is the purpose of resistors in series with a lightbulb?

Resistors in series with a lightbulb are used to control the amount of current flowing through the lightbulb. This helps to prevent the lightbulb from burning out due to too much current.

2. How do resistors in series affect the brightness of a lightbulb?

Adding resistors in series with a lightbulb will decrease the amount of current flowing through the lightbulb, which in turn will decrease its brightness.

3. Can I use any type of resistor in series with a lightbulb?

Yes, as long as the resistor has the appropriate resistance for the circuit. It is important to choose a resistor that can handle the amount of power needed for the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in series?

To calculate the total resistance of resistors in series, you simply add the individual resistances together. For example, if you have two resistors with resistances of 100 ohms and 200 ohms, the total resistance would be 300 ohms.

5. What happens if one of the resistors in series with a lightbulb fails?

If one of the resistors fails, it will interrupt the flow of current and the lightbulb will not light up. It is important to regularly check and replace any faulty resistors to ensure the circuit is functioning properly.