Why Is the 40 W Bulb Brighter When Connected in Series with a 60 W Bulb?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Coop
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Brightness Bulb
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
Coop
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Normally, household lightbulbs are connected in parallel to a power supply. Suppose a 40 W and a 60 W lightbulb are, instead, connected in series. (see here) Which bulb is brighter?

Homework Equations



[tex]P_{resistor}=I\Delta V=I^2R =\frac{(\Delta V)^2}{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I have found out the answer is the 40 W light bulb but am not sure why. Since both bulbs are getting the same current it means the 60 W has a higher resistance according to the formula [tex]P=I^2R[/tex] Doesn't a higher resistance mean more energy dissipated means more light given off? Or am I thinking about it wrong?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I is the same for both resistors then according to P=I^2(R), R for the 60 W bulb must be higher.

But I am confused because according to P = V^2/R the 60 W has a higher R...how do I know which equation to use?
 
Why don't you work out the resistance of a normally-operating 60w bulb in your house? How many ohms would it be?
 
Coop said:
If I is the same for both resistors then according to P=I^2(R), R for the 60 W bulb must be higher.

But I am confused because according to P = V^2/R the 60 W has a higher R...how do I know which equation to use?
The "60W" rating assumes you are connecting it to the standard mains supply. There is nothing inherent to the bulb that guarantees it consumes 60W. The fundamental constant of the bulb is its resistance.