[resolved] Partial Derivative Relationships

In summary, there is a relationship between the partial derivatives of z with respect to x and y, and the partial derivative of y with respect to x. This relationship is given by the equation \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \cdot \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = 0. This can be proved by considering the differential formula dz = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \cdot dx + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \cdot dy and dividing by dx. However, this approach only works when the map (x,z) \mapsto f(x,g(x,z)) is differentiable. This relationship can be useful
hotvette
Homework Helper
I'm trying to come up with an expression for [itex]\partial y / \partial x[/itex] where [itex]z = f(x,y)[/itex]. By observation (i.e. evaluating several sample functions), the following appears to be true:
[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \cdot \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = 0
\end{equation*}
[/tex]
but I can't find anything to prove it. I can sort of get there using the differential formula
[tex]
dz = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \cdot dx + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \cdot dy
[/tex]
then dividing by [itex]dx[/itex] and reasoning that [itex]dz/dx = 0[/itex] because [itex]z[/itex] is constant when evaluating [itex]\partial y / \partial x[/itex], but I suspect this isn't a valid approach.

My questions are:

(1) Is the above relationship between [itex]\partial z / \partial x[/itex], [itex]\partial z / \partial y[/itex], and [itex]\partial y / \partial x[/itex] true?

(2) How to prove it?P.S. Here is an example:
[tex]
\begin{align}
z = x^3y &&
y = zx^{-3} &&
\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = 3x^2y &&
\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = x^3 &&
\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = -3zx^{-4} = -3x^3yx^{-4} = -3y/x
\end{align}
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \cdot \frac{\partial y}{\partial x}
= 3x^2y + x^3 \cdot \left(-3y/x\right) = 3x^2y - 3x^2y = 0
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let x,y,z be variables that satisfy a constraint of the form ##z=f(x,y)##. For all x,y,z such that x and z have values such that this constraint can be solved for y, the variables also satisfy a constraint of the form ##y=g(x,z)##, and we have ##z=f(x,y)=f(x,g(x,z))##. What you have discovered is essentially just that the value of the right-hand side is independent of the value of x, as it must be since it's equal to z.

The only caveat is that the map ##(x,z)\mapsto f(x,g(x,z))## must be differentiable for your calculation to make sense. For this to be the case, f must be a nice enough function. In particular, it must be such that the domain of the map ##(x,z)\mapsto f(x,g(x,z))## isn't something ridiculous like a singleton set or a curve ##z=C(x)##.

Let h be the function such that ##h(x,z)=f(x,g(x,z))## for all ##x,z## such that the original constraint can be solved for y. For all ##x,z## such that h is differentiable, we have
$$0=D_1h(x,z)=D_1 f(x,g(x,z))+D_2 f(x,g(x,z)) D_1g(x,z) =\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}.$$

Makes perfect sense when viewed as a composite function. I'm surprised this relation isn't mentioned in my advanced calculus book. Doesn't seem to me to be such an obscure item.

It came up because I'm trying to find out where [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} =0[/itex] which in my case is very difficult to evaluate whereas [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/itex] are straightforward. I discovered that I could just find where [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = 0[/itex] but I didn't know why it worked. Now I do. Thanks.

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to describe how a function changes in relation to one of its input variables while holding all other input variables constant.

How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative measures the instantaneous rate of change of a single-variable function, while a partial derivative measures the instantaneous rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its input variables.

What are the applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and statistics. They are particularly useful in optimization problems, where finding the maximum or minimum of a function involves taking partial derivatives.

How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you first identify the variable you are differentiating with respect to and treat all other variables as constants. Then, you use the standard rules of differentiation for single-variable functions to find the partial derivative.

What is the significance of partial derivative relationships?

Partial derivative relationships are important because they help us understand how different variables in a multivariable function are related to each other. They also allow us to analyze how changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of the function.