Resolving forces, should be simple

In summary, the conversation discussed a physics problem involving two cylinders on a slope and a vertical wall. The question was to find the magnitude of forces exerted on each cylinder by the slope, the other cylinder, and the wall. The conversation included attempts at solving the problem using known concepts, such as resolving forces and moments. The final solution involved considering all four forces acting on the lower cylinder and resolving them parallel to the slope.
furor celtica

Homework Statement

Two cylinders of equal radii each have weight W. They are at rest on a smooth slope of inclination A° to the horizontal, the lower of the two cylinders being in contact with a smooth vertical wall as shown in the diagram. Find, giving your answer in terms of W and A°, the magnitude of the force exerted by
a. the slope on the upper cylinder
b. the lower cylinder on the upper cylinder
c. the upper cylinder on the lower cylinder
d. the wall on the lower cylinder
e. the slope on the lower cylinder

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so the first three are pretty obvious, a.= WcosA°, b.=c.=WsinA°
However I’m having trouble with d.

So d.=(normal contact force exerted on lower cylinder by slope resolved for the horizontal)+(normal contact force exerted on lower cylinder by upper cylinder resolved for the horizontal) = ((WcosA° resolved for the horizontal) + (WsinA° resolved for the horizontal)) = WcosA°sinA° + WsinA°cosA°=2WsinA°cosA°
However, the correct answer is 2WtanA°; where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• Untitledf.png
    Untitledf.png
    2 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
hi furor celtica! :smile:
furor celtica said:
… (normal contact force exerted on lower cylinder by slope resolved for the horizontal) … = (WcosA° resolved for the horizontal)

no :redface:

(and you may find it easier to use moments :wink:)

dude could you be more helpful then 'no+sad smiley'?
i don't know what a moment is and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to solve this problem using (surprise surprise) things i already know.
cheers

hey seriously i don't know what a moment is, that really wasn't helpful, i need to solve this without using moments

ok, draw a diagram of all the forces on the lower sphere (there are 4, and they all go through the centre of the sphere)

then, to find the reaction from the wall (d), add the components of all the forces in the direction parallel to the slope

what do you get? :smile:

(for e, choose a different direction)

are you sure i should resolve for the direction parallel to the slope and not horizontally?

try both, and see what you get :wink:

ok i figured out totally independently that i was forgetting the force exerted on the lower cylinder by the wall when calculating the normal reaction exerted by the slope on this cylinder, but if you can take some advice you were really not helpful here dude. seriously, you got me all messed up.

furor celtica said:
ok i figured out totally independently that i was forgetting the force exerted on the lower cylinder by the wall when calculating the normal reaction exerted by the slope on this cylinder, but if you can take some advice you were really not helpful here dude. seriously, you got me all messed up.

uhh?? :confused:

you specifically asked …
furor celtica said:
… where did I go wrong?

and i told you!

after that, you failed to show any work, even after i reminded you there were 4 forces involved :redface:

anyway, do you now see why you needed to resolve parallel to the slope? :smile:

1. What is resolving forces?

Resolving forces is a method used in physics to break down a single force into its individual components in order to better understand its effect on an object.

2. Why is it important to resolve forces?

It is important to resolve forces because it allows us to analyze the effects of different forces acting on an object separately, rather than all at once. This can help us determine the overall motion and behavior of the object.

3. How do you resolve forces?

To resolve forces, we use trigonometry and vector analysis to break down a single force into its horizontal and vertical components. This is done by using the angle and magnitude of the force.

4. What is the difference between a resolved force and a resultant force?

A resolved force refers to the individual components of a single force, while a resultant force is the overall effect of all the forces acting on an object. Resolving forces allows us to find the resultant force.

5. Can you resolve a force in any direction?

Yes, a force can be resolved in any direction as long as the angle and magnitude of the force are known. This allows us to analyze the effects of forces acting in different directions on an object.