Cylinder & Torque: Find Maximum Force w/o Rotation

In summary: So, ##F = w##?That all looks right. So, ##F = w##?In summary, a maximum force of F can be applied to the cylinder without causing it to rotate.
minimario

Homework Statement

Figure P8.74 shows a vertical force applied tangentially to a uniform cylinder of weight w. The coefficient of static friction between the cylinder and all surfaces is 0.500. Find, in terms of w, the maximum force F that can be applied without causing the cylinder to rotate. [Hint: When the cylinder is on the verge of slipping, both friction forces are at their maximum values. Why?]

tgA098S.png

Homework Equations

Torque = F * d

F = Mg

Friction = coefficient * normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

There are a few force: weight force, F, <right wall>: normal force to the left, friction force, <lower wall>: friction force to the right, normal force upward. However, I don't know how to combine these forces to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you started properly by drawing a free body diagram showing all the forces acting on the cylinder, or do you feel that you have progressed beyond the point where you need to use free body diagrams?

Chet

You must have heard about Newton's laws. There is one that says ##\ \vec F = m\; \vec a\ ## (*) .
If the thing don't move, the forces must add up to zero. That's your combination !

(*) Wrote it as vectors, so you may use it for horizontal non-movement and for vertical idem as well.

And if you're still short on equations, something similar for non-rotation also holds. You know what I mean ? :wink:

[edit] bedtime for me; leave you to Chet !

@chet, Yes, I have drawn free body diagrams, but I cannot upload here. The forces on the FBD were written in the "attempt at a solution" section.

From the FBD, I have n1 = coefficient * n2, coefficient * n1 + F + n2 = w. Is that correct?

minimario said:
@chet, Yes, I have drawn free body diagrams, but I cannot upload here. The forces on the FBD were written in the "attempt at a solution" section.

From the FBD, I have n1 = coefficient * n2, coefficient * n1 + F + n2 = w. Is that correct?
Yes. Sorry. I didn't read your post carefully enough.

You have 2 equations here and 3 unknowns. The third equation would be a moment balance.

Chet

Can you explain more about how to set up the moment balance?

Thanks!

minimario said:
Can you explain more about how to set up the moment balance?

Thanks!
Well, first of all, do you know what a moment (torque) is? Do you know how to calculate the moment of a force about an axis of rotation?

Chet

Yes, torque = F * d, to calculate moment, is mr^2.

minimario said:
Yes, torque = F * d, to calculate moment, is mr^2.
Not exactly. mr^2 is what you use to calculate the so called "moment of inertia." That's different from the moment of a force around an axis. A moment is the same thing as a torque. They're different words for the same entity. Your equation torque = F*d needs a little more explanation. How do you determine what value of d to use?

Chet

It's radius, but no radius is given

minimario said:
It's radius, but no radius is given
There's a rule for determining the correct distance d to use. You drop a normal from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force. d is the distance from the axis to the line of action of the force. Does this ring a bell? If not, go back and review your textbook or notes.

Chet

It's ## Fr \sin \theta ##, but I'm still not sure how to apply it. Can you give a start?

minimario said:
It's ## Fr \sin \theta ##, but I'm still not sure how to apply it. Can you give a start?
OK. Make a list of the moments of each of your forces around the axis of the cylinder. Let's see what you get.

Chet

KUgUi6l.png

Torque caused by f1: ## f_1 \cdot R##
Torque caused by n1, W, n2: 0
Torque caused by f2: ##f_2 \cdot R##
Torque caused by F: ##F \cdot -R##

Therefore, ##F = f_1 + f_2##?

Now we have that equation and ## n_1 + f_2 +F= W## and ##f_1 = n_2##?

Likes Chestermiller
minimario said:
Torque caused by f1: ## f_1 \cdot R##
Torque caused by n1, W, n2: 0
Torque caused by f2: ##f_2 \cdot R##
Torque caused by F: ##F \cdot -R##

Therefore, ##F = f_1 + f_2##?

Now we have that equation and ## n_1 + f_2 +F= W## and ##f_1 = n_2##?
That all looks right.

Likes Chestermiller

What is a cylinder?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional geometric shape that has two parallel circular bases connected by a curved surface. It is a type of prism and is often used to describe objects such as cans, tubes, and pipes.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

How do you find the maximum force without rotation?

To find the maximum force without rotation, you need to calculate the torque of the cylinder. This can be done by multiplying the force applied to the cylinder by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The maximum force without rotation occurs when the torque is equal to zero.

What factors affect the maximum force without rotation?

The maximum force without rotation is affected by the shape and size of the cylinder, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Other factors that can affect the maximum force include the material and surface properties of the cylinder and the force applied.

How is the maximum force without rotation used in real-life applications?

The concept of maximum force without rotation is important in engineering and physics. It is used to determine the strength and stability of structures, as well as in the design of machines and tools. For example, in the construction of bridges and buildings, engineers must calculate the maximum force without rotation to ensure that the structure can withstand external forces without collapsing.