Resonance of HNO2

Guys, consider a molecule of HNO2, in this molecule there will be resonance for its stability. But i want to ask that do states of matter makes a difference in Resonance or not? Because I think in liquid phase there will be no resonance in HNO2 ? Please help.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Guys, consider a molecule of HNO2, in this molecule there will be resonance for its stability. But i want to ask that do states of matter makes a difference in Resonance or not? Because I think in liquid phase there will be no resonance in HNO2 ? Please help.
What's so special about HNO2 that it won't have a "resonance" in its liquid phase? After all, most, if not all, molecules will have some form of resonance states in the liquid phase. See, for example, H2O:

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/water_vibrational_spectrum.html

This really should have been posted in the Atomic/Molecular/Solid State forum.

Zz.

What's so special about HNO2 that it won't have a "resonance" in its liquid phase? After all, most, if not all, molecules will have some form of resonance states in the liquid phase. See, for example, H2O:

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/water_vibrational_spectrum.html

This really should have been posted in the Atomic/Molecular/Solid State forum.

Zz.
I think due to stability given by hydrogen bonds in the liquid phase there might not be any resonance . Am I right?

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I think due to stability given by hydrogen bonds in the liquid phase there might not be any resonance . Am I right?
I don't know. But even if this is true (it isn't true for water), why would any other resonance associated with other bonds be gone? The fact that it is still a molecule means that there are still vibrational modes present.

Have you done a search on any UV-VIS measurement of this molecule in liquid phase?

Zz.