Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonance Structures Chemistry: What is Potential Energy?

1. Dec 29, 2013 #1
    I was reading this article from Wikipedia on resonance structures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance_(chemistry [Broken])

What I do not understand is, what is meant by potential energy in terms of chemistry? In physics, potential energy is defined by location in a force field. What is it that determines potential energy in a compound or molecule? Is it the position of electrons to other electrons, electrons to nuclei? How does having lower potential energy make a molecule more stable? Explain in layman's terms please.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erk.

Chemical potential energy is related to electromagnetic potential energy... it's just that molecules tend to be pretty complicated.

By analogy:
    You can understand that a moon orbiting closer to a planet has a lower gravitational potential energy is also more stable - it takes a larger random knock to push that moon out of orbit? It's the same for the atoms in a molecule.

4. Dec 29, 2013 #3
    Thank you.

5. Dec 29, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No worries - so long as you don't try using that to draw new conclusions you'll be fine.
    In a bit some of the others will pop up and tell you where I'm taking horrible liberties in the name of being layman-friendly ;)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook