Standard electrode potential vs ionization energy

In summary, the Wikipedia page on electrode potentials says that strontium donates an electron to the hydrogen in the standard hydrogen electrode, which results in 4.101 eV of heat. With cesium, the ionization energy is 375.7, so you should gain 936.3 kJ/mol.
Tiiba
Here is the Wikipedia page on electrode potentials. Here's how I'm reading it, which makes no sense:

If a singly ionized atom of strontium donates an electron to the hydrogen in the standard hydrogen electrode, this will emit 4.101 eV of heat (395.68 kJ/mol). If cesium is used, there will be 3.026 eV (291.96 kJ/mol).

Now, what I thought this involves is, you take an electron from strontium (549.5 kJ/mol) and give it to hydrogen (1312 kJ/mol) for a net gain of 762.5 kJ/mol. With cesium, the ionization energy is 375.7, so you should gain 936.3 kJ/mol.

Where is the rest of it, and why is strontium higher?

I understand these are half-reactions, but I don't understand what a half-reaction is.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Reduction potentials are generally measured in aqueous solutions, while ionization energies are measured in the gas phase.

Likes HelloCthulhu and Charles Link
TeethWhitener said:
Reduction potentials are generally measured in aqueous solutions, while ionization energies are measured in the gas phase.
To add to what @TeethWhitener said, there will be an energy change for the atom on the electrode as it becomes an ion in the solution=the binding energy of the atom to the electrode needs to be overcome. On the receiving end, the hydrogen (ion) comes out of solution and usually results in the diatomic form of hydrogen gas.

I thought the electrolyte probably plays a role, but I wasn't sure what that role is. And also had a hard time picturing what is going on.

So the electron isn't simply moved from one atom to another. The metal goes from M (s) to M+ (aq), so it would break the bonds it had in the crystal, but also form new bonds with water. And the hydrogen does its own version of that. Is that about right?

But how do you get strontium to be +1? As far as I know, it always goes to +2 in water.

Also, when they write H+, do they really mean H3O+?

Tiiba said:
I thought the electrolyte probably plays a role, but I wasn't sure what that role is. And also had a hard time picturing what is going on.

So the electron isn't simply moved from one atom to another. The metal goes from M (s) to M+ (aq), so it would break the bonds it had in the crystal, but also form new bonds with water. And the hydrogen does its own version of that. Is that about right?

But how do you get strontium to be +1? As far as I know, it always goes to +2 in water.

The valence of +2 is something I didn't consider, but if it is +2, the energy for the reaction would need to be specified as per mole of electrons or per mole of strontium. The table has two entries for Sr. One for ## Sr^{+1} ## and one for ## Sr^{+2} ##. The ## Sr^{+2} ## has a potential of -2.899.

Last edited:
Tiiba said:
I thought the electrolyte probably plays a role

Beware: not electrolyte (although it can be of importance as well) but a solvent is what is the first thing to consider here.

Yes, they are sometimes used interchangeably. Note, that H3O+ is actually not correct - in reality proton is surrounded by several water molecules, so the real formula is something like H(H2O)n+. This is actually a series of compounds in equilibrium with each other, from what I remember n takes values up to 5 or 6.

Now, take into account energy released by each water molecule attracted by the proton, and imagine the same thing happening to the metal ions (we say they are solvated, or hydrated). These energies can be quite large (think how concentrated sulfuric acid gets hot on dilution, think how anhydrous CaCl2 gets hot when dissolved) - do you see why it is not enough to speak just about the ionization energies?

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the difference between standard electrode potential and ionization energy?

Standard electrode potential (E°) is a measure of the tendency of a half-cell to gain or lose electrons and is used to determine the direction of a redox reaction. Ionization energy, on the other hand, is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom or ion in the gas phase. In simpler terms, standard electrode potential is a measure of the reactivity of a species, while ionization energy is a measure of its stability.

2. How are standard electrode potential and ionization energy related?

Standard electrode potential and ionization energy are inversely related. This means that as the standard electrode potential increases, the ionization energy decreases and vice versa. This is because a higher standard electrode potential indicates a greater tendency to lose electrons, which is the opposite of what is measured by ionization energy.

3. Why is standard electrode potential measured under standard conditions?

Standard conditions refer to a temperature of 25°C, a pressure of 1 atmosphere, and a concentration of 1 mol/L for all species involved in the redox reaction. These conditions allow for a fair comparison between different redox reactions and ensure that the standard electrode potential is not affected by other factors such as concentration or temperature.

4. Can standard electrode potential and ionization energy predict the spontaneity of a redox reaction?

Yes, both standard electrode potential and ionization energy can be used to predict the spontaneity of a redox reaction. A positive standard electrode potential indicates a spontaneous reaction, while a negative standard electrode potential indicates a non-spontaneous reaction. Similarly, a lower ionization energy indicates a more spontaneous reaction, while a higher ionization energy indicates a less spontaneous reaction.

5. How can standard electrode potential and ionization energy be used in practical applications?

Standard electrode potential and ionization energy are important in various practical applications, especially in the field of electrochemistry. They are used in the design of batteries, corrosion prevention, and in the production of metals. They can also be used to determine the reactivity of different substances and to predict the direction of redox reactions in chemical reactions.