Resonant frequency of Volatile organic compounds

In summary, it seems that the energy of the vibrational stretch mode of the Si-H bond at the terrace sites of the Si(111) crystal is the main energy that is responsible for the resonance.
Sveral
Hello ,
could someone tell me ,where to find Resonant frequency of the chemical bond of the following Volatile organic compounds:
Propene,Toluene,Benzene,Ethylbenzene.
Thanks in advance .

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You could try to find IR spectra of those compounds and see what bonds the spectral peaks are assigned to, in case you mean vibrational frequencies.

Yes, you put it more accurately, any idea as tom where one can find a chart with these frequencies? Also, is there a difference in the vibrational frequency of a volatile organic compound and a non-volatile one, for example, propene?

Well, quick google in google images with the keywords "*compound name* IR spectrum" gave my IR spectrum for all of the compounds you mentioned.

Likes Sveral
HAYAO said:
Well, quick google in google images with the keywords "*compound name* IR spectrum" gave my IR spectrum for all of the compounds you mentioned.
Thank you ,will remember that .

Sveral said:
Thank you ,will remember that .
HAYAO said:
I'm sorry, I made a bad typo. It was supposed to be "gave me" not "gave my". Big difference that could've got you confused. Just so you know.

HAYAO said:
I'm sorry, I made a bad typo. It was supposed to be "gave me" not "gave my". Big difference that could've got you confused. Just so you know.
Didn`t really notice that one, just read it as "me" anyways:D Could anyone explain to me, wheather or not resonance can be created by continuously applying a photon flux , which when reaches the total energy of the bond will break it?

Sveral said:
Could anyone explain to me, whether or not resonance can be created by continuously applying a photon flux , which when reaches the total energy of the bond will break it?

I have to clear up several things before I can answer your question. Some of what I say below, you might know, so you can just tell me whether you know or not.

1) Bond does not dissociate when a molecule absorbs energy corresponding to the bonding mode (resonance). You have just simply excited the molecule to a higher phonon level.

2) There is a difference between photon flux and photon energy. The former essentially refers to how many photons will be in a unit time and unit area (typically given in W/mm2). The latter refers to the energy a single photon itself has (units in wavelength, wavenumber, or eV...sometimes in frequency).

3) Continuous application of a photon beam only increases the number of molecule excited to a higher phonon level. Theoretically, it is possible to doubly excite a single molecule when using high intensity beams (like lasers), but the possibility of the phonon excited molecule deactivating is significantly higher than absorbing two photons.

With that said, can you rephrase your question? Or does this already answers it?

I am wondering. Are you talking about electronic excited state or vibration excited state? What we've talked about so far is the vibration excited state. But bond dissociation by absorption of a photon usually involves electronic excited state.

HAYAO said:
I have to clear up several things before I can answer your question. Some of what I say below, you might know, so you can just tell me whether you know or not.

1) Bond does not dissociate when a molecule absorbs energy corresponding to the bonding mode (resonance). You have just simply excited the molecule to a higher phonon level.

2) There is a difference between photon flux and photon energy. The former essentially refers to how many photons will be in a unit time and unit area (typically given in W/mm2). The latter refers to the energy a single photon itself has (units in wavelength, wavenumber, or eV...sometimes in frequency).

3) Continuous application of a photon beam only increases the number of molecule excited to a higher phonon level. Theoretically, it is possible to doubly excite a single molecule when using high intensity beams (like lasers), but the possibility of the phonon excited molecule deactivating is significantly higher than absorbing two photons.

With that said, can you rephrase your question? Or does this already answers it?

I am wondering. Are you talking about electronic excited state or vibration excited state? What we've talked about so far is the vibration excited state. But bond dissociation by absorption of a photon usually involves electronic excited state.
Ok, fair enough. I think, that the best option would be to simply quote the text I am talking about, but, please, do not ask for the entire document, that I simply can not do. the quote "
The desorption yield peaked at a wavelength
of 4.8 mm (Fig. 1B), corresponding to
0.26 eV, the energy of the vibrational stretch
mode of the Si-H bond at the terrace sites of the
Si(111) surface.
"

Sveral said:
Ok, fair enough. I think, that the best option would be to simply quote the text I am talking about, but, please, do not ask for the entire document, that I simply can not do. the quote "
The desorption yield peaked at a wavelength
of 4.8 mm (Fig. 1B), corresponding to
0.26 eV, the energy of the vibrational stretch
mode of the Si-H bond at the terrace sites of the
Si(111) surface.
"
You are referring to the article in Science:
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/312/5776/1024

This paper was retracted in 2011 because they were unable to reproduce the results. I'm not surprised because I have never heard of dissociation of bond by resonant infrared light. I am quite skeptical of this phenomenon. If it is possible, then it must be of an indirect process(es). I may be proven wrong in the future, but for now you'll have to provide me with a legitimate article.

Likes jim mcnamara
HAYAO said:
You are referring to the article in Science:
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/312/5776/1024

This paper was retracted in 2011 because they were unable to reproduce the results. I'm not surprised because I have never heard of dissociation of bond by resonant infrared light. I am quite skeptical of this phenomenon. If it is possible, then it must be of an indirect process(es). I may be proven wrong in the future, but for now you'll have to provide me with a legitimate article.
True, but for now that is not yet possible, that, as far as I know, is the only work of it`s kind, that`s the problem...

Sveral said:
True, but for now that is not yet possible, that, as far as I know, is the only work of it`s kind, that`s the problem...
I'm sorry, but now your question doesn't make sense. What is "the problem" you are talking about? What are you trying to ask?

1. What is the resonant frequency of volatile organic compounds (VOCs)?

The resonant frequency of VOCs varies depending on the type of compound. It is the frequency at which a VOC molecule will vibrate most easily, and can be affected by factors such as molecular structure, temperature, and pressure.

2. Why is the resonant frequency of VOCs important?

The resonant frequency of VOCs is important because it can be used to identify and detect specific compounds. By exposing a sample of gas to a range of frequencies and measuring the absorption of each frequency, we can determine the resonant frequency and therefore the presence of certain VOCs.

3. How is the resonant frequency of VOCs measured?

The resonant frequency of VOCs can be measured using various techniques such as Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy or gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS). These methods use different principles to analyze the absorption of light or fragmentation of molecules, respectively, to determine the resonant frequency.

4. Can the resonant frequency of VOCs change over time?

Yes, the resonant frequency of VOCs can change over time due to changes in environmental conditions or chemical reactions. For example, temperature and pressure can affect the vibration of molecules and therefore alter the resonant frequency.

5. How can we use the resonant frequency of VOCs to mitigate air pollution?

By identifying the resonant frequency of specific VOCs, we can develop technologies to effectively remove or break down these compounds from the air. This can help reduce air pollution and improve air quality for human health and the environment.