Resources on Electronic Packaging

In summary, Carlo is volunteering to help his professor with electronic packaging. He is looking for resources to guide him in this area, specifically at the IC level. He mentions the issue of thermal heat transfer and asks if there are any suitable texts for studying it. He is advised to start by looking at IC vendor websites and considering the power levels of different IC packages. There are also "Theta" ratings that indicate the thermal resistance from the internal IC junctions to the exterior or ambient air. The conversation ends with a recommendation to check out websites like Motorola, ON Semi, and Wikipedia for more information on thermal resistance and conductivity.
carlodelmundo
Hi,

I will be volunteering my time helping my professor in the realm of "electronic packaging." There doesn't seem to be a lot of straightforward tutorials on electronic packaging, could anyone guide me with the proper resources so I can take a look?

Thanks

Carlo

Engineering news on Phys.org
carlodelmundo said:
Hi,

I will be volunteering my time helping my professor in the realm of "electronic packaging." There doesn't seem to be a lot of straightforward tutorials on electronic packaging, could anyone guide me with the proper resources so I can take a look?

Thanks

Carlo

Can you say a bit more about it? Are you talking about packaging at the IC level, MCM level, module level, or product level?

If I recall correctly, I am going to be packaging in the IC level. The issue of thermal heat transfer (to properly release heat from the components) was also discussed. I am assuming this is part of a trial-and-error back-of-the-envelope calculation sort of thing? Or is there really a text suitable for such study?

carlodelmundo said:
If I recall correctly, I am going to be packaging in the IC level. The issue of thermal heat transfer (to properly release heat from the components) was also discussed. I am assuming this is part of a trial-and-error back-of-the-envelope calculation sort of thing? Or is there really a text suitable for such study?

There are a number of different types of IC packages, with varying amounts of power dissipation capability. I'd recommend starting at some IC vendor websites and looking at the IC packages that they have available, and the power levels that they are rated at.

Many packages and heat sinks have "Theta" ratings, that are basically their thermal resistances from the internal IC junctions to the package exterior or to ambient air. Look for ratings like [tex]\Theta_{jc}[/tex] from junction to case and [tex]\Theta_{ja}[/tex] from junction to air.

Check out websites like Motorola (they make a lot of power semiconductors), ON Semi, and whatever vendors that make ICs like the ones you are researching.

Wikipedia also has a basic intro article to thermal resistance / conductivity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_resistance

Thank you berkeman!

1. What is electronic packaging?

Electronic packaging refers to the process of enclosing electronic components or devices in protective casings or enclosures to ensure their functionality and durability. It also involves the design, assembly, and testing of these packages to meet specific performance requirements.

2. What are the different types of electronic packaging?

The main types of electronic packaging include chip packaging, printed circuit board (PCB) packaging, and system packaging. Chip packaging involves the individual packaging of integrated circuits (ICs) or microchips. PCB packaging involves the assembly of multiple electronic components onto a PCB, which is then enclosed in a protective casing. System packaging involves the assembly of complete electronic systems, such as mobile phones or computers, into a single package.

3. What materials are commonly used in electronic packaging?

The most common materials used in electronic packaging are plastics, metals, and ceramics. Plastics, such as polyethylene and polycarbonate, are lightweight and cost-effective, making them suitable for consumer electronics. Metals, such as aluminum and steel, provide strength and durability, making them ideal for industrial and military applications. Ceramics, such as silicon and glass, offer excellent thermal and electrical properties, making them suitable for high-performance applications.

4. What are the key considerations in electronic packaging design?

Some key considerations in electronic packaging design include thermal management, mechanical strength, electrical performance, and cost. The package must be designed to dissipate heat efficiently to prevent overheating of electronic components. It should also be able to withstand mechanical stress and environmental factors, such as shock and vibration. The package must also provide proper electrical connections and shielding to ensure optimal performance of the electronic system. Finally, the cost of the packaging materials and manufacturing processes should be taken into account to ensure the overall cost-effectiveness of the product.

5. What are the current trends in electronic packaging?

Some current trends in electronic packaging include the use of advanced materials, such as nanomaterials and polymers, to improve thermal and electrical properties. There is also a growing demand for smaller and more compact packages to meet the needs of portable and wearable devices. Additionally, there is a focus on environmentally-friendly packaging solutions, such as biodegradable materials and sustainable manufacturing processes. Lastly, there is a push towards the development of more efficient and cost-effective packaging techniques, such as 3D printing and flexible packaging.