Restricted Boltzmann machine understanding

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Restricted Boltzmann Machines (RBM) for inferring probability distributions. The process involves using a visible neuron to characterize input data and an arbitrary number of hidden neurons. The forward and backward pass are performed using a stochastic procedure and the sigmoid function. This is followed by computing the Kullback-Leibler (K-L) divergence to measure the distance between the actual and estimated probability distributions. The weights and biases are then adjusted via gradient descent to minimize this distance. The purpose of the RBM is to estimate probability distributions, but there are questions about the need for the forward and backward pass and how it helps with gradient descent when the probability distribution is already known.
Jufa
Homework Statement
This post is for helping me with my Final Degree Project
Relevant Equations
No relevant equations
Suppose you have an experiment of 2 possible outcomes 0 and 1 with probabilities p and 1-p respectively. I've been told in University that Restricted Boltzmann machines (RBM) can be used to infer probability distributions so I guess that one could built a RBM in order to infer p in the example just mentioned. I wonder if someone can solve my doubts regarding this simple example. I would proceed as follows:

1-I would use one visible neuron in order to characterize every input as the two possible results of the measurement (0 or 1) and an arbitrary number of hidden neurons (I suppose that the more the better). I would also randomly initialize the weights and the biases.
2-Now I would perform the so-called forward pass. That it is, I would compute the values for all the hidden neurons using the well-known stochastic procedure involving the value of the single visible neuron and the sigmoid function.
3-Then I would perform the backward pass in order to reconstruct the visible neuron using the values of the hidden neurons and again the sigmoid function.
4-Now, is where i find it difficult to go on. In some articles I've seen that now it would be time to perform the Kullback-Leibler (K-L) divegence in order to measure the distance between the actual probability distribution (p, 1-p) and the estimated one (1/Z*SUM_h(e^E(v, h)) being Z the partition function and E the energy associated to a certain confirguration of the machine. After computing K-L divergence the weights and biases are readjusted via gradient descent in order to minimize the distance between distributions.
**My question is very simple: why are the forward and backward pass are needed? The K-L divergence can be computed without having reconstructed the visible layer and the readjustment of the weights and biases does not depend on the reconstruction as well.
**Another question that comes to my mind and I haven't be able to answer yet is: Where is the point of building a RBM for estimating a probability distribution? I mean, in order to perform gradient descent you already need to know the probability distribution (p, 1-p) of the data. Then what is actually the RBM helping us with?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jufa said:
to perform gradient descent you already need to know the probability distribution (p, 1-p) of the data.

It isn't clear whether you are talking about an observed frequency ##p## as opposed to a probability ##p## . For example, if you generate training data by 100 independent trials with probability of ##p## of success on each trial, it is unlikely that the fraction of successes you generate will be exactly equal to ##p##.

Different sets of training data generated from the same probability distribution will have different observed fractions of successes.

1. What is a Restricted Boltzmann machine (RBM)?

A Restricted Boltzmann machine is a type of artificial neural network that is used for unsupervised learning tasks, such as dimensionality reduction, classification, and feature learning. It is composed of visible and hidden units, and uses a process called contrastive divergence to learn the underlying patterns in a dataset.

2. How does a Restricted Boltzmann machine work?

A RBM works by learning the probability distribution of a given dataset. The visible units in the network represent the input data, while the hidden units act as a latent representation of the data. During training, the network adjusts the weights between the visible and hidden units to maximize the likelihood of the observed data. This allows the RBM to learn the underlying patterns and relationships in the data.

3. What are the applications of Restricted Boltzmann machines?

RBM has a wide range of applications in machine learning, including collaborative filtering, recommendation systems, image recognition, and natural language processing. It is also used in deep learning architectures, such as deep belief networks and deep Boltzmann machines.

4. What are the advantages of using Restricted Boltzmann machines?

One of the main advantages of RBMs is their ability to handle high-dimensional data and learn complex relationships between variables. They are also able to perform unsupervised learning, which means they can learn from unlabelled data. Additionally, RBMs are relatively easy to train and can handle large datasets efficiently.

5. Are there any limitations of Restricted Boltzmann machines?

One limitation of RBMs is that they can only model a single layer of hidden units, which can limit their ability to learn hierarchical representations. They also require a large amount of training data to perform well. Additionally, RBMs are prone to overfitting, which can be mitigated by using regularization techniques.