Restricted Boltzmann machine for Quantum state tomography

In summary, the individual is struggling with their Final Degree Project, specifically in understanding the paper "Neural Network quantum state tomography, Giacomo Torlai et al." and its application in performing quantum simulation and quantum tomography for a single-qubit using a restricted Boltzmann machine. They have two main questions regarding the number of visible neurons needed and how to determine their values based on measurements. They have provided a link to the paper and have also come up with their own answers, but are still looking for verification.
Jufa
TL;DR Summary
I would like to know how one would carry out quantum tomography from a quantum state by means of the restricted Boltzmann machine. For the sake of simplicity we could choose a 1-qubit system
I'm struggling with my Final Degree Project. I would like to perform a quantum simulation and perform quantum tomography for a single-qubit using a resrticted Boltzmann machine. In order to do so I'm trying to follow the recipe in the paper "Neural Network quantum state tomography, Giacomo Torlai et al.", but I fail to understand it.
How many visible neurons are needed?
How I know which is the value of the visible neurons based on the measurments performed?
These two questions are the main ones.
Could someone please help?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? I'm quite lost ans frustrated, just a little of debate would extraordinarily help.

Do you have a link to the paper you referenced? If so, please provide it. That makes it easier for people to respond, since they don't have to go try to find it on their own.

In addition I don't see how the generalisation of this method to mixed states should be performed.

I think I have finally come up with the two answers to the questions I made. If only someone could verify I'm right it would be very helpful:
How many visible neurons are needed?
-The answer is that we need so many visible neurons as qubits has the system. This way every possible component of the system (in a certain basis) can be reffered as a unique state of the visible neurons.
-How I know which is the value of the visible neurons based on the measurments performed?
Given a certain basis, every result of an experiment performed in that basis becomes an input vector, i.e., a certain state of the visible layer.

1. What is a Restricted Boltzmann Machine (RBM)?

A Restricted Boltzmann Machine is a type of artificial neural network that is used for unsupervised learning tasks. It consists of two layers - a visible layer and a hidden layer - and is trained to learn the underlying patterns and relationships in a dataset without any external labels or guidance.

2. How does an RBM work for Quantum state tomography?

In quantum state tomography, an RBM is used to reconstruct the quantum state of a system from a set of measurements. The RBM is trained on a dataset of quantum states and their corresponding measurement outcomes, and then used to predict the quantum state of a new system based on its measurements.

3. What are the advantages of using an RBM for Quantum state tomography?

One of the main advantages of using an RBM for Quantum state tomography is its ability to handle large and complex datasets. RBMs are also flexible and can be adapted to different types of quantum systems, making them a versatile tool for quantum state tomography.

4. Are there any limitations to using an RBM for Quantum state tomography?

One limitation of using an RBM for Quantum state tomography is that it can only reconstruct pure quantum states, meaning states with no mixed or entangled components. Additionally, RBMs may struggle with highly entangled systems or systems with a large number of qubits.

5. How is the performance of an RBM evaluated for Quantum state tomography?

The performance of an RBM for Quantum state tomography is typically evaluated by comparing the reconstructed quantum state to the true state. This can be done using metrics such as fidelity or trace distance. Additionally, the RBM's ability to generalize to new systems can also be tested by using a separate validation dataset.