Resultant displacement for drives west, north, then east

  • Thread starter Thread starter speedyboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
speedyboy

Homework Statement


A man drives 12k west, then 15km north, then 20 km east.
Determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement[/B]

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



I don't get the question and I really have no idea how to solve this problem, can someone help me :([/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They are asking how far and in what direction the end point is from the start.

Draw a map to scale.
 
speedyboy said:

Homework Statement


A man drives 12k west, then 15km north, then 20 km east.
Determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement[/B]

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



I don't get the question and I really have no idea how to solve this problem, can someone help me :([/B]

Do you drive a car? If so, just imagine it is YOU who are doing the driving. At the end of your little trip you end up somewhere, and the question is just asking you to figure out where that would be in relation to your starting point. If you do not drive a car, just imagine that you are a passenger in a car driven by somebody else.
 
How do I determine the magnitude and direction of the displacement? What formula will I use
 
speedyboy said:
How do I determine the magnitude and direction of the displacement? What formula will I use

Step 1: get the ##(x,y)## (East,North) components of the final point.

Step 2: THEN (and ONY then) worry about how to find the magnitude and direction.

That last task is just elementary "coordinate geometry", which you have probably already taken.

Alternatively, you can follow the advice of CWatters in post #2, and draw the path carefully on a sheet of graph paper, then use a ruler and a compass to get an answer. That approach might be worth at least part marks.
 
Last edited:
speedyboy said:
How do I determine the magnitude and direction of the displacement? What formula will I use
Trigonometry an Pythagoras is all you need.

If you make a drawing and mark up the distances on it all should become clear.