Resultant Frequency of two unlike soundwaves

In summary, when two sound waves with frequencies of 340Hz and 320Hz are combined, the resultant frequency is the sum of the individual frequencies, which would be around 330Hz. This is due to the Principle of Linear Superposition, where the amplitudes of the two waves are added together and the frequencies remain unchanged. This can be calculated using the trig identity for the sum of two sine functions.
mckenna12
In a lab that my class was doing, we had to hit two tuning forks (of different frequencies) at the same time. One tuning fork had a frequency of 340 and the other had a frequency of 320Hz. I am aware that due to the Principle of Linear Superposition, when two sound waves are combined, the resultant is the sum of the disturbances from the individual waves.
My question is: what is the resultant frequency that is created? The amplitudes of the two waves are added together, but what about the two frequencies? Should it be around 330 Hz... the average of 340 and 320Hz?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote,

"I am aware that due to the Principle of Linear Superposition, when two sound waves are combined, the resultant is the sum of the disturbances from the individual waves."

You need to first write down the functions that describe the two sources and then use the above.

See,

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sin(320*2*pi*t)+++sin(340*2*pi*t)&cdf=1

You may need a plugin to view the above, its free and well worth the cost %^)You may also want to find the trig identity for,

Sina + sinb

See "Sum-to-Product formulas" in,

http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html

1. What is the resultant frequency of two unlike soundwaves?

The resultant frequency of two unlike soundwaves is the combined frequency when two soundwaves with different frequencies overlap or interact with each other. It is the sum of the two individual frequencies.

2. How is the resultant frequency calculated?

The resultant frequency is calculated by adding the two individual frequencies together.

3. What happens when two soundwaves with different frequencies overlap?

When two soundwaves with different frequencies overlap, they interact with each other and create a new wave with a resultant frequency that is the sum of the two individual frequencies.

4. Can the resultant frequency be higher or lower than the individual frequencies?

Yes, the resultant frequency can be higher or lower than the individual frequencies depending on the two original frequencies and how they interact with each other.

5. How does the amplitude of the original soundwaves affect the resultant frequency?

The amplitude of the original soundwaves does not affect the resultant frequency. It only affects the loudness or volume of the sound. The frequency is determined solely by the original frequencies of the soundwaves.